From: officemanager2 on
I have a mainform to compile information, mainly drop down choices (mr, ms,
mrs, etc) that includes a subform for open ended notes.

Currently on the mainform there is a text box that supplies the subform with
inputs and applies a time stamp so the next user can see what was said and
when. The main problem is when ever something is put into the field that
links with the subform that new text overwrites all the previous entries.

I have also realized that the only way to put new entries into the subform is
to directly input them there, but ideally I would prefer the user to input
through the mainform. On that note would I need to create a specific save
button for the field that links to the subform? Currently when the user
'tabs' to the next field the update/over write occurs.

Any suggestions or direction as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:50:46 GMT, "officemanager2" <u58933(a)uwe> wrote:

>I have a mainform to compile information, mainly drop down choices (mr, ms,
>mrs, etc) that includes a subform for open ended notes.

What are the Recordsource of the main and subforms? What's the table structure
and relationship? What's the Master and Child Link Field?

>Currently on the mainform there is a text box that supplies the subform with
>inputs and applies a time stamp so the next user can see what was said and
>when. The main problem is when ever something is put into the field that
>links with the subform that new text overwrites all the previous entries.

>I have also realized that the only way to put new entries into the subform is
>to directly input them there, but ideally I would prefer the user to input
>through the mainform. On that note would I need to create a specific save
>button for the field that links to the subform? Currently when the user
>'tabs' to the next field the update/over write occurs.
>
>Any suggestions or direction as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

Please explain your form. You may have set it up in a manner different than
Access is expecting.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: officemanager2 on
Hi John:

The main form is based from a table called 'Mailing List' that has a field
titled 'ID' which is the primary key for that table
The sub form is 'based from a table called Notes' that has a field titled
'ParentRecordID'

I have set up a one to many relationship between ID (main form - one) and
ParentRecordID (subform - many)

On the properties for the Mailing List subform the Link Child Fields is
ParentRecordID and the Link Master Fields is ID

In the subform there is a field called 'notes' which is connected to the main
form field also called 'notes' using the Control Source in the properties box
with the following '=Forms![Mailing List]!Notes'

The subform is placed within the main form and can be seen whenever one is on
the main form.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:22:09 GMT, "officemanager2" <u58933(a)uwe> wrote:

>Hi John:
>
>The main form is based from a table called 'Mailing List' that has a field
>titled 'ID' which is the primary key for that table
>The sub form is 'based from a table called Notes' that has a field titled
>'ParentRecordID'
>
>I have set up a one to many relationship between ID (main form - one) and
>ParentRecordID (subform - many)
>
>On the properties for the Mailing List subform the Link Child Fields is
>ParentRecordID and the Link Master Fields is ID

All that's OK...

>In the subform there is a field called 'notes' which is connected to the main
>form field also called 'notes' using the Control Source in the properties box
>with the following '=Forms![Mailing List]!Notes'

But that is NOT!!!!

The Notes field should (I presume) be stored in the Notes table... right? If
so, you want the control source for the subform Notes textbox to be the Notes
field *IN THE NOTES TABLE*, not a copy of the Notes field from the mainform.
Is there a field named Notes in [Mailing List] and *also* in [Notes]? If so
why?

I would assume that the Notes table would have fields ParentRecordID (the
linking field) and a Memo or Text field named Note (or Notes); and that there
would not be any Notes referenced on the mainform.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: officemanager2 via AccessMonster.com on
Hi John: The reason I put two note fields is that I thought it would work
better for the end user, this is proving not to be the case. Ideally as the
end user inputs a new note it will show up in the subform with the timestamp
and with a glance it can be seen what was said and when.

If this was possible it would create the situation where the subform as read
only (another thing I need to figure out how to do) so the time and what was
said could not be altered.

I've seen some postings of a similar nature so as it stands I'm trying to
create a button that will open up a pop up (that is tied into the notes
field), the note would be put in, the end user would hit the save button
which would close the pop up and the note would appear in the subform with
the timestamp. This may be an overly complicated way of performing this task
and being rookie at this I'm open to suggestions.

thanks