From: felmon on
On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:00:31 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Sat, 29 May 2010 23:26:46 -0500, felmon wrote:

>>> I'm been using a relative of this board for a couple of years and I've
>>> been very happy with it. I have a 8400 overclocked to 4GHz and the
>>> system has been solid as rock, it's been running 24/7 with heavy loads
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128372
>>
>> great! a concrete recommendation. and a great price.
>>
>> I'll have to buy some RAM; I actually have DDR3 (not DDR2 - my error);
>> not a big problem if I have to buy more.
>>
>> Felmon
>
> Don't buy RAM, DDR3 is what you want, just buy the DDR3 sister of that
> board. DDR2 is obsolete, the exact board that I'm using isn't available
> any more. This board uses the same chipsets except that it supports
> DDR3.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128371

the board came yesterday. I installed and had some initial fumbling - it
keep rebooting after a couple of seconds, wouldn't even go into the BIOS.
I saw a lot of people had this problem but I figured the best advice was
just to make sure I had seated the board correctly so as to rule out
shorts. unscrewed it and put it in again and got a clean steady run.

booted up to the BIOS and to the operating system for the first time
tonight and, lo!, I saw the bttv driver automagically invoked! started
tvtime and there you are!

I may play with the newer WinTV card sometime but right now I am enjoying
having the system in play.

I need to fiddle some more with it - distrust the cpu fan and want to
hook up a cd audio cable - but I will now see about returning the other
mobo. wish I had just done that in the first place, schluß.

thanks to all for the great advice and tons of very useful information!

Felmon