From: SteveR on
I have a new project that will be 95% similar to my usual project. Should I
add it to my usual workspace, or are there more benefits to creating its own
workspace? This is a new step for me (still in 6.0). Reading up on this did
not produce expected answers, and I can't say I understand the choices.

From: David Ching on
"SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a new project that will be 95% similar to my usual project. Should
> I add it to my usual workspace, or are there more benefits to creating its
> own workspace? This is a new step for me (still in 6.0). Reading up on
> this did not produce expected answers, and I can't say I understand the
> choices.

The only reason to put both projects into the same workspace (workspaces are
called 'solutions' after 6.0) is to easily edit their files and build the
projects together. If you only work with one project at a time, there is no
advantage.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Depends what you want to share. Are these considered two interlocking project? Then yes.
Are they two completely separate projects that share 95% of the source? Then it is up to
you, but you should ideally move the source files which are common to a subdirectory
common/source that is typically in the same project tree, and is shared by the two
projects. I also use common/include for the header files.
joe

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:27:12 -0400, "SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a new project that will be 95% similar to my usual project. Should I
>add it to my usual workspace, or are there more benefits to creating its own
>workspace? This is a new step for me (still in 6.0). Reading up on this did
>not produce expected answers, and I can't say I understand the choices.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: RB on
Wow someone else besides me still using VC6, I thought I was
the only one. I am in the process of migrating to 2005 though.
Course I still drive a truck to work that 22yrs old so you can
pretty much categorize me. But if I programmed professionally
I would probably buy the new edition. I know the company where
I work spends a fortune on Autodesk software upgrades every year.
Between our cad department and the 3d modeler department it is
quite expensive.
The answers Joe and David gave are excellent advise on the
project decision.
From: SteveR on
Thank you, David and Joe.

Joe is getting to the heart of my vague question. I actually want the same
view, with all the code that is in common. I say this as an example of just
how much alike these two applications will be. In the meantime, I have
chosen to use the exact same project and output the appropriate exe's
according to how I set AFX_IDS_APP_TITLE, also of course making distinctions
between products by testing for certain attributes in the code. This is the
method I have used for years to produce very similar applications.

Steve

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> Depends what you want to share. Are these considered two interlocking
> project? Then yes.
> Are they two completely separate projects that share 95% of the source?
> Then it is up to
> you, but you should ideally move the source files which are common to a
> subdirectory
> common/source that is typically in the same project tree, and is shared by
> the two
> projects. I also use common/include for the header files.
> joe
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:27:12 -0400, "SteveR"
> <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a new project that will be 95% similar to my usual project. Should
>>add it to my usual workspace, or are there more benefits to creating its
>>own
>>workspace? This is a new step for me (still in 6.0). Reading up on this
>>did
>>not produce expected answers, and I can't say I understand the choices.
>>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

 |  Next  |  Last