From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I leave Sunday for San Jose, and will not return until after this NG is "officially"
closed. So I don't know what is going to happen.

I tried to install Hector's NNTP Bridge but it keeps telling me a DLL is missing, and I
gave up.

So it may be a while before I reappear. I will still be active until late Saturday night.
joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> I leave Sunday for San Jose, and will not return until after this NG is
> "officially"
> closed. So I don't know what is going to happen.

If you are going to be in San Jose next week, I could meet you and give you
Jochen's (and Hector's) bridges on a CD.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I have both, but I can't install Hector's because I get the "missing DLL" error, and I
don't know what DLL is missing.

OTOH, if you want to get together for dinner, send me email with contact information and
we can plan to meet some evening after class.
joe

From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> I leave Sunday for San Jose, and will not return until after this NG is "officially"
> closed. So I don't know what is going to happen.
>
> I tried to install Hector's NNTP Bridge but it keeps telling me a DLL is missing, and I
> gave up.

Dude, I am right here! Report it!. The latest available (v1.0G I
think) has been been stable. I'm up to v1.0L and working with Alan
Montgomery to deal with many issues related to the web service that
has some critical issues we have to kludge around.

But hey, I'm here - REPORT and I FIX :) You have my email at
sant9442(a)gmail.com

> So it may be a while before I reappear. I will still be active until late Saturday night.

I really don't think MS realize the major dent it it doing by killing
critical NGs, like this one and others. Even with the Forums and I
have been deeply with it and also using the MS FORUMS, there is a
serious disconnect that leaves a bitterness in people.

My opinion:

1) It seems everyone uses alias names - you get no personal
interaction with people. No big deal, I went thru that phrase too to
be anonymous in nature.

2) It seems people are hell bent on getting to mark their replies
marked as an ANSWER as if there is some major competition going on. So
you see post with reminders at the bottom. I guess that might be good
of they were really good answer, but it seems odd as you already see
people telling others "don't mark it as an answer if it isn't." :)

3) The interface still needs work to "find things" It is ok, as long
as you book mark your forums. In wcLEX I added a Newsgroup search
feature that helps to find newsgroup forums based on the forum title
and description because the newsgroup names can be obscure.

4) They really need an option to turn off HTML for user input. It
broken in many ways and its very hard to cut and paste from/to your
external notes to a message as the font changes forcing you to go into
HTML EDITOR mode to fix up the rendering. A pure TEXT input is all
80% people need. This will also greatly simplify the NNTP Bridge
proxies who have to go thru some transformations to make it appear right.

Thats it off the top of my head, but overall, I seriously think MS has
no IDEAL the onslaught of issues once they stop the NG services and
people begin, out of no other choice, to switch to MS FORUMS or the
bridges. The crying and whining will begin en masse. There are some
serious bugs (at least 2) with the WEB SERVICE API the Bridges use and
thus far, we found no solution and Alan and I are spending an a lot of
time trying to come up with a reasonable workaround targeted at the
first time installer.

--
HLS
From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> I have both, but I can't install Hector's because I get the "missing DLL" error, and I
> don't know what DLL is missing.

You must of gotten one my early premature releases. I'm new to .NET -
my bad, not usually my style to release premature code. :)

The official late release V1.0E (6/10/2010)

http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex

has been verified to install and run properly with all the
prerequisites automatically installed (which was properly Live ID DLL
that was missing before).

If you want the latest beta v1.0L

http://opensite.winserver.com/wclex/wcLiveExchange.setup.msi

This has some debug buttons that will removed when done, but this one
attempts to resolve an annoying problem where you need to refresh the
newsgroups a few times the first time until all the newsgroups are
fetched. The bug is that it isn't a persistent result. Once you see
there is no change, use the Search under the Newsgroups tab to find
the groups you want. Note them down and then via Forte Agent, get
your groups and subscribe to them.

I would also change the LanguageFilter under options to en-US to get
your english only groups. About 950+ out of the total 2300+ or so.
Of course, not all 950+ are useful, in fact most of them are DEAD or
expired beta groups.

--
HLS