From: no_tack on
Thanks. I looked on web site as you suggested and did not see a patch
specifically for this error and those listed were from 2006. The CD that I
can purchase is also old- 4/2006 -which would be the version I have - I
thiink - as I just purchased this scanner.
I kind of thought that, since I can't look at the permission on any key
using regedit ,that I somehow have messed up something else having to do with
security controls.

From: Doug Knox - [MS-MVP] on
No, there are some registry keys that an Administrator can't even look at.
You could try a Bart's PE CD. This creates a bootable "mini" version of
Windows where you can run REGEDIT and bypass the permissions to make
changes. But you would have to know the exact key that needs to be changed.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/