From: Jim on
We are running 2003 server SP 2 with terminal services on a 4 processor
server.

We recently installed SP2 on a base 2003 standard server via windows update.
Since the installation, we receive "warning" event 244 ("Failed to create a
desktop due to desktop heap exhaustion") and all subsequent logons of remote
desktops fail, with no further error messages. One or possibly two logons
work, then the the warning message is issued, and further logons fail until
the system is rebooted.

Terminal server has 5 CALs, so this is not a licensing issue.

I've attempted to install the dheapmon tool but it can't find the correct
symbol table, even though I've downloaded and installed the 2003 server sp2
symbole table from microsoft.

The readme html file has a link to a KB entry on how to increase the size of
the desktop heap, but the instructions are for NT 3.51 and the registry keys
referenced aren't even close. I can't find a KB entry for 2003 SP2.

I'm not sure if this is a bug (memory leak) in an application, if SP2
requirements require adjustments, or what. The owner of the server
purchased an upgrade to the application that runs on the server, however, it
is not being used in my testing.

Anybody have any idea what's going on here or how I should modify the heap
parameters?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

From: Jim on
Additional information just noticed:

Shortly after logon after boot up, event ID 1004 "Reporting queued error:
faulting application wmiprvse.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module
ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0000eef0" is issued with a
"notify microsoft" window popping up. I'm wondering if this is part of the
problem and what to do to fix.

Jim

From: TP on
Hi Jim,

This post assumes you are using a 32-bit OS.

Please check some things and report back with your
findings and I will give more advice:

1. Registry settings and their values located under the
following key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

I am most interested in SessionViewSize and SessionPoolSize
if they exist and their value, but please post all entries so I can
see if there is anything strange.

2. The value of the following registry entry, this is a long
string, so please make certain you highlight and copy the
entire thing:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems

Windows REG_EXPAND_SZ

I am most interested in the SharedSection= part of the
string, but again please post all of it so I can look for
something strange.

3. The contents of your boot.ini file located at the root of
the system drive. For this item I am looking to see what
boot switches are present. Specifically, I do *not* want
to see /3GB and /userva. You can access the boot.ini
file through System Properties - Advanced tab, Startup
and Recovery settings, Edit startup options.

Thanks.

-TP

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
You have probably seen KB 142676, but for Windows 2003 you'll want
this one:

126962 - "Out of Memory" error message appears when you have a
large number of programs running
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=126962

Also check JSI Tip nr 8057:

Some applications may not run correctly in a Windows Server 2003
Terminal Services environment
http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8057

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"Jim" <nobody(a)nospam.edu> wrote on 31 dec 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

From: Hank Arnold (MVP) on
Jim wrote:
> We are running 2003 server SP 2 with terminal services on a 4 processor
> server.
>
> We recently installed SP2 on a base 2003 standard server via windows update.
> Since the installation, we receive "warning" event 244 ("Failed to create a
> desktop due to desktop heap exhaustion") and all subsequent logons of remote
> desktops fail, with no further error messages. One or possibly two logons
> work, then the the warning message is issued, and further logons fail until
> the system is rebooted.
>
> Terminal server has 5 CALs, so this is not a licensing issue.
>
> I've attempted to install the dheapmon tool but it can't find the correct
> symbol table, even though I've downloaded and installed the 2003 server sp2
> symbole table from microsoft.
>
> The readme html file has a link to a KB entry on how to increase the size of
> the desktop heap, but the instructions are for NT 3.51 and the registry keys
> referenced aren't even close. I can't find a KB entry for 2003 SP2.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a bug (memory leak) in an application, if SP2
> requirements require adjustments, or what. The owner of the server
> purchased an upgrade to the application that runs on the server, however, it
> is not being used in my testing.
>
> Anybody have any idea what's going on here or how I should modify the heap
> parameters?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim

FWIW, here are links from eventid.net: