From: TR on
Hello,

I have a member server on a SBS 2003 network that is a terminal server. I
added a second network card to the Terminal Server and purchased a public IP
so that our remote employees can log into it from the internet on this
second network card without having to create a VPN through our SBS server
and generate more traffic on our internal network. When I configure the
second NIC with the public ip and try to input the Default Gateway that was
provided to me by my ISP, i get the error:
Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a
single network(such as an intranet or internet). They will not fumction
properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks(such as
one on your intranet and one on the internet). Do you want to save this
configuration?

Is what i am trying to do not a valid configuration?

Thanks

TR

From: Hank Arnold (MVP) on
TR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a member server on a SBS 2003 network that is a terminal server. I
> added a second network card to the Terminal Server and purchased a public IP
> so that our remote employees can log into it from the internet on this
> second network card without having to create a VPN through our SBS server
> and generate more traffic on our internal network. When I configure the
> second NIC with the public ip and try to input the Default Gateway that was
> provided to me by my ISP, i get the error:
> Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a
> single network(such as an intranet or internet). They will not fumction
> properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks(such as
> one on your intranet and one on the internet). Do you want to save this
> configuration?
>
> Is what i am trying to do not a valid configuration?
>
> Thanks
>
> TR

Ack!!! What you are trying to do is opening the door to hackers!!! Your
serve ris now a gateway into your network!! Never, ever, put a server on
an internal network on the internet....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
From: TR on

Geez Hank...

Well I am no an expert on routing. How do I give our remote employees
access to the terminal server without burdening our current SBS network with
all the VPN's and all the traffic they generate on the internal network.

If the only thing i have enabled on this TERMINAL nic is TCP\IP and they are
using RDP which is supposedly encrypted, how do i set this up?

Thanks
TR

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
First of all, I agree with Hank that you are taking a big risk.
It doesn't matter that rdp is encrypted, because your TS is open
for logon attempts from the Internet, and all it needs is just one
single user account with a weak password and you're hacked.
So I would definitively set your users up with a VPN connection, or
SSH, directly to the TS (doesn't have to go through the SBS 2003
server).

That said, to answer your original question: I believe that you
need to manually configure your Windows routing tables, using the
route.exe command. Only one NIC should have a default gateway
assigned through the GUI.
Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"TR" <TR(a)somehwere.com> wrote on 03 dec 2007 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

From: TR on
Hi Vera,

I am not familiar with SSH. Is this something I would setup directly on the
TERMINAL server? Is SSH an open source product? We are having the remote
people use VPN now, but the VPN's are created through the SBS2003 box and
this is generating alot of traffic on our local lan. Hence my idea about the
second network card directly on the TERMINAL server itself with a public IP.

thanks
TR