From: laxman on
Hi All,

I am using RedHat linux 4.5. I am unable to login and not able to open
files from single user mode
i am getting the below message the saying that
"/bin/vi : cannot allocate memory" when i open files. Kindly help me
with a solution. It is a very critical database server.

Regards,
Lakshman
From: Seebs on
On 2009-12-09, laxman <alakshmanrao(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using RedHat linux 4.5. I am unable to login and not able to open
> files from single user mode
> i am getting the below message the saying that
> "/bin/vi : cannot allocate memory" when i open files. Kindly help me
> with a solution. It is a very critical database server.

Hard to say. Clearly there's something very deeply busted -- it should
be able to do stuff in single-user mode. It's possible that it has WAY
too little memory, and no swap, but even then...

The practical advice would be: Set up a modern system and migrate your
files. Trying to keep something that old running, when something mysterious
has gone wrong and you know nothing about troubleshooting, is pointless.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Kevin Collins on
On 2009-12-09, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2009-12-09, laxman <alakshmanrao(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using RedHat linux 4.5. I am unable to login and not able to open
>> files from single user mode
>> i am getting the below message the saying that
>> "/bin/vi : cannot allocate memory" when i open files. Kindly help me
>> with a solution. It is a very critical database server.
>
> Hard to say. Clearly there's something very deeply busted -- it should
> be able to do stuff in single-user mode. It's possible that it has WAY
> too little memory, and no swap, but even then...
>
> The practical advice would be: Set up a modern system and migrate your
> files. Trying to keep something that old running, when something mysterious
> has gone wrong and you know nothing about troubleshooting, is pointless.

I suspect the the OP means RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.5, which is not all that
old...

Kevin
From: Seebs on
On 2009-12-09, Kevin Collins <spamtotrash(a)toomuchfiction.com> wrote:
> I suspect the the OP means RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.5, which is not all that
> old...

I'd consider it fairly old; I don't think it's still supported, for instance.

That said, the "mysterious stuff going wrong we don't understand" is also a
pretty big deal.

-s
--
Copyright 2009, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Javi Barroso on
On Dec 9, 7:47 am, laxman <alakshman...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using RedHat linux 4.5. I am unable to login and not able to open
> files from single user mode
> i am getting the below message the saying that
> "/bin/vi : cannot allocate memory" when i open files. Kindly help me
> with a solution. It is a very critical database server.
What 'free' and 'ps aux' tell you when you are in single user mode ?

Is nano work there ?

Regards,
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2