From: Jeff Brusoe on
This is about a problem I'm having on 2003 Server R2.

When I try to go into local users and groups, it has a red x over it
and the display pane says "Unable to access the computer
<ServerName>. The error was: Invalid Syntax."

I've tried several things, but still have this problem. Some of the
suggestions I've tried including copying over activeds.dll and
activeds.tlb from a server that works and re-registering those,
(obviously) rebooting the server, and running system file checker.
None of these have solved the problem.

Does anybody here have any other suggestions of things to try? Thanks.
From: kj [SBS MVP] on
Jeff Brusoe wrote:
> This is about a problem I'm having on 2003 Server R2.
>
> When I try to go into local users and groups, it has a red x over it
> and the display pane says "Unable to access the computer
> <ServerName>. The error was: Invalid Syntax."
>
> I've tried several things, but still have this problem. Some of the
> suggestions I've tried including copying over activeds.dll and
> activeds.tlb from a server that works and re-registering those,
> (obviously) rebooting the server, and running system file checker.
> None of these have solved the problem.
>
> Does anybody here have any other suggestions of things to try?
> Thanks.

So, you're trying to open this from what MMC, and locally or remotely?

--
/kj

From: Jeff Brusoe on
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to open it 3 different ways - through going to My
Computer/right click/Manage, typing lusrmgr.msc in start/run, and
opening up a blank MMC window and trying to add the "Local Users and
Groups" snap-in. This was all done from the server console and the
same error message was displayed every time.

The interesting thing is that I can open this up if I run the MMC on
my local workstation and connect to the server.

From: kj [SBS MVP] on
Jeff Brusoe wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have tried to open it 3 different ways - through going to My
> Computer/right click/Manage, typing lusrmgr.msc in start/run, and
> opening up a blank MMC window and trying to add the "Local Users and
> Groups" snap-in. This was all done from the server console and the
> same error message was displayed every time.
>
> The interesting thing is that I can open this up if I run the MMC on
> my local workstation and connect to the server.
>
> On May 17, 1:43 pm, "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ....(a)SPAMFREE.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> So, you're trying to open this from what MMC, and locally or
>> remotely?

Hmm. Guessing something bad in the registery. When did it start? Tried
opening and then connect to computer, this computer....

Is the <Servername> correctly displayed and apearing normal...

--
/kj

From: Jeff Brusoe on
Thanks again for the reply. We're not too sure when exactly it
started, but it was noticed this morning.

Do you happen to know where in the registry the activeds.dll and
activeds.tlb file information is stored? I re-registered those two
files, but didn't clear out any registry entries. I was thinking about
deleting that part of the registry and then trying to register them
again.