From: timOleary on
I leave a pc running unattended sometimes for a week at a time, and
the problem is when I return, the screen is dark, and the PC does not
respond to moving the mouse or hitting keys on the keyboard.

I have been rebooting, but I suspect this is a setting issue.

Additional question:
What is the category of software called which monitors and reports
system health via email?
Th PC is behind a firewall, and I do not think remote desktop will
work, nor am I interested in having to actively log in to check on the
PC.
From: Unknown on
Is it in hibernation? If so, only power on button will boot it up. Any
lights on?

From: Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk on
timOleary wrote:

> I leave a pc running unattended sometimes for a week at a time, and
> the problem is when I return, the screen is dark, and the PC does not
> respond to moving the mouse or hitting keys on the keyboard.
> I have been rebooting, but I suspect this is a setting issue.

First of all define kind of PC you have. In some kind of laptops wakeup
from standby is done by pressing power button. Maybe there is an issue
in BIOS configuration. Check this out.

--
Regards
Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk
From: timOleary on
On Dec 13, 2:11 am, Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk <black...(a)x-
privat.org> wrote:
> timOleary wrote:
> > I leave a pc running unattended sometimes for a week at a time, and
> > the problem is when I return, the screen is dark, and the PC does not
> > respond to moving the mouse or hitting keys on the keyboard.
> > I have been rebooting, but I suspect this is a setting issue.
>
> First of all define kind of PC you have. In some kind of laptops wakeup
> from standby is done by pressing power button. Maybe there is an issue
> in BIOS configuration. Check this out.
>
> --
> Regards
> Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

This is a rack-mounted computer that was built up to act as a server
for an scsi connected RAID array.

I did not deploy the system, just got elected to maintain it and be
sure it is operating properly, which it isn't at the present time.
This is a great opportunity to learn, but it also is annoying that I
get flogged by my boss (who did the setup and deployment) for not
having the answers to every problem on the ip of my fingers
It may indeed be hibernating. The first few times it happened I just
assumed the PC had crashed, which just indicates my level of
incompetence.
(moderately high)

I am now learning the difference between hibernate, standby, and
suspend.
and how to control these features.
I do not want the pc to do any of these, except maybe run a screen
saver.
Seems like I need to Start>Run>powercfg.cpl and check that the
settings are what I want, before doing anything else.
But in any event I want to be able to monitor the pc so in case it
crashes, or there is a power interruption at the site, I can know.
I do electronic security, and we run supervisory signals for our
systems depending on the connectivity available for a site. Some
telemetry is supervised and other are not but for any situation, if
the link from the site is compromised, we know within a predefined
time frame. If polling signal misses more than the allowed tolerance,
or if a test signal fails to arrive, I get notified. With the email
option, it seems this would be an application that ouwls be readily
available.
I haven't figured out what the software is called or where to obtain
it yet.

thanks for the responses