From: davesurrey on
Does anyone here have any experience using Unetbootin?

I have spent a lot of time today searching through google but the info is
poor and repetitive and I'm still unsure off what Unetbootin can do.
I know it can take an iso of a (selected) linux distro and install it onto a
USB stick with the correct boot loaders etc so the distro can be booted
directly from the usb stick.
But..it also has a "frugal" HDD install mode. I read today that someone says
they have has used it to install Linux Mint * to a Windows XP (ntfs)
partition. I tried to do this but can't get it to boot although I see the
Mint squashfs file. I have also modified grub (it uses grub4dos) to add a
stanza for Mint. But no joy. It starts to boot but then stops saying can't
find init.

I would ask the original poster what he did but he is very new and confused
and says he doesn't know how he did it. Frankly I am unsure if he really has
installed to the windows partition or another one.

I don't want to waste any more time if this is undo-able but if it's
possible it seems very interesting.
Any inputs welcome
Dave

From: Tony Houghton on
In <4b6230a7$0$2522$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:

> Does anyone here have any experience using Unetbootin?
>
> I have spent a lot of time today searching through google but the info is
> poor and repetitive and I'm still unsure off what Unetbootin can do.
> I know it can take an iso of a (selected) linux distro and install it onto a
> USB stick with the correct boot loaders etc so the distro can be booted
> directly from the usb stick.
> But..it also has a "frugal" HDD install mode. I read today that someone says
> they have has used it to install Linux Mint * to a Windows XP (ntfs)
> partition. I tried to do this but can't get it to boot although I see the
> Mint squashfs file. I have also modified grub (it uses grub4dos) to add a
> stanza for Mint. But no joy. It starts to boot but then stops saying can't
> find init.
>
> I would ask the original poster what he did but he is very new and confused
> and says he doesn't know how he did it. Frankly I am unsure if he really has
> installed to the windows partition or another one.
>
> I don't want to waste any more time if this is undo-able but if it's
> possible it seems very interesting.
> Any inputs welcome

I recently used Unetbootin on Debian unstable to install Mint 8 on a USB
stick (FAT16). I'd previously tried to use usbcreator on Ubunto 9.10,
but the stick failed to boot. I downloaded a new ISO in case mine was
corrupted, but that wouldn't even boot from CD, but putting that same
image on a USB stick with unetbootin was successful!

I wonder if your friend really installed it to a FAT partition rather
than NTFS. It looks like you can get syslinux to boot from NTFS though.
Have a look at the sdi.txt file that comes with it
(/usr/share/doc/syslinux-common/sdi.txt.gz on Debian-based systems).

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: davesurrey on

"Tony Houghton" <h(a)realh.co.uk> wrote in message
> In <4b6230a7$0$2522$da0feed9(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
> davesurrey <dave(a)antispam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here have any experience using Unetbootin?
>>
>> I have spent a lot of time today searching through google but the info is
>> poor and repetitive and I'm still unsure off what Unetbootin can do.
>> I know it can take an iso of a (selected) linux distro and install it
>> onto a
>> USB stick with the correct boot loaders etc so the distro can be booted
>> directly from the usb stick.
>> But..it also has a "frugal" HDD install mode. I read today that someone
>> says
>> they have has used it to install Linux Mint * to a Windows XP (ntfs)
>> partition. I tried to do this but can't get it to boot although I see the
>> Mint squashfs file. I have also modified grub (it uses grub4dos) to add a
>> stanza for Mint. But no joy. It starts to boot but then stops saying
>> can't
>> find init.
>>
>> I would ask the original poster what he did but he is very new and
>> confused
>> and says he doesn't know how he did it. Frankly I am unsure if he really
>> has
>> installed to the windows partition or another one.
>>
>> I don't want to waste any more time if this is undo-able but if it's
>> possible it seems very interesting.
>> Any inputs welcome
>
> I recently used Unetbootin on Debian unstable to install Mint 8 on a USB
> stick (FAT16). I'd previously tried to use usbcreator on Ubunto 9.10,
> but the stick failed to boot. I downloaded a new ISO in case mine was
> corrupted, but that wouldn't even boot from CD, but putting that same
> image on a USB stick with unetbootin was successful!
>
> I wonder if your friend really installed it to a FAT partition rather
> than NTFS. It looks like you can get syslinux to boot from NTFS though.
> Have a look at the sdi.txt file that comes with it
> (/usr/share/doc/syslinux-common/sdi.txt.gz on Debian-based systems).

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your input.
As I said it's an install to a HDD rather than a USB stick that I'm
intersted in.
It' s not a friend but someone on a forum who seems to be saying he
installed Mint to the
same partition as Windows using Unetbootin. But I have no way to check it is
correct.

Hopefully someone will come along who has done it or similar.
Cheers
Dave