From: Simon Brooke on
I'm feeling somewhat sour towards Ubuntu just now...

I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...

And since then the screen doesn't work and the wireless internet doesn't
work. Which, given it is a netbook, more or less bricks it. I'll post the
network problem separately.

It looks like the update to xserver-xorg-video-intel broke. The intel
driver is there, but it won't start; so Ubuntu cheerfully wipes out my
xorg.conf and substitutes it's own, using the vesa driver and insisting
that the only screen resolutions I have are 640x480 and 800x600.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does /not/ work; it just returns me to
broken state.

lspci gives (among other stuff):
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

My hand-edited best-guess xorg.conf contains

/----- start excerpt -----
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device #1"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "Mobile 915GME Express Graphics Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device #2"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics
Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:2:1"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Vendorname "Dell"
Modelname "Mini 9"
Modeline "1024x600(a)60" 48.96 1024 1064 1168 1312 600 601
604 622 -hsync +vsync
Gamma 1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device #2"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1024 600
Modes "1024x600(a)60"
EndSubSection
EndSection
\----- end excerpt -----

startx reports:

/----- begin output -----
(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:0)
found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
\----- end excerpt -----

Obviously the graphics chip announces itself as two devices, PCI:0:2:0
and PCI:0:2:1; whichever I don't link to the 'Screen' section of
xorg.conf gets reported as 'No matching device section for instance'.

What's even more frustrating is that if I don't try to force the machine
to use my own recipe but just let Ubuntu invent its own, in the
xorg.0.log I get (amongst other junk)

/----- begin output -----
(II) VESA(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
(II) VESA(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0 50.83 1024 1105 1159 1320 600
605 612
642 +hsync -vsync (38.5 kHz)
(II) VESA(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0 33.89 1024 1105 1159 1320 600
605 612
642 +hsync -vsync (25.7 kHz)
(II) VESA(0): Searching for matching VESA mode(s):
\----- end excerpt -----

so it actually /knows/ it's dealing with a 1024x600 screen... and then it
decides that that can't possibly be what I want and dumps me back to
640x480.

I actually don't care whether I use the Intel driver (yes I know it's
proprietary) or the Vesa one. I don't care if I use a Hercules driver. I
don't care! I just want a screen I can use, which on this machine means
1024x600. Surely that can't be too much to ask?

Rant re: broadcom follows.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <7siiolF7qgU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>I'm feeling somewhat sour towards Ubuntu just now...
>
>I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
>it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
>option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
>Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...

I have an Acer Aspire One - which has the same hardware more or less.

My xorg.conf is at: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xorg.conf

>And since then the screen doesn't work and the wireless internet doesn't
>work. Which, given it is a netbook, more or less bricks it. I'll post the
>network problem separately.

I use Debian Lenny on mine, but I am old fashioned in that I custom
compiled the kernel for it. Wi-Fi and Audio seem to work OK.

Gordon
From: Theo Markettos on
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
> it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
> option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
> Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...

Which Ubuntu?

I don't quite understand how Ubuntu manages its xorg.conf, as mine (on a
Mini 9 on Ubuntu 9.04) is very sparse:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 1024 1368
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

That's /etc/X11/xorg.conf There must be another, but I'm not sure where it
lives. I can't spot one in /var. The GUI display manager tool works fine,
so it must be saving the settings somewhere.

I notice a list of monitors I've ever used in ~/.config/monitors.xml
but I don't know how that gets used.

Theo
From: Tony van der Hoff on
On 30/01/10 12:24, Theo Markettos wrote:
> Simon Brooke<stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
>> it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
>> option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
>> Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...
>
> Which Ubuntu?
>
> I don't quite understand how Ubuntu manages its xorg.conf, as mine (on a
> Mini 9 on Ubuntu 9.04) is very sparse:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> SubSection "Display"
> Virtual 1024 1368
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>

> That's /etc/X11/xorg.conf There must be another, but I'm not sure where it
> lives. I can't spot one in /var. The GUI display manager tool works fine,
> so it must be saving the settings somewhere.
>
> I notice a list of monitors I've ever used in ~/.config/monitors.xml
> but I don't know how that gets used.
>
> Theo

Modern implementations of X server auto-configure using udev. Generally
they seem to get it right. Only where they can't autodetect the hardware
do they need a bit of help from a xorg.conf, so that's why your file is
sparse; there is no other.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |
From: Simon Brooke on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:24:33 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I
>> bought it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as
>> an option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
>> Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...
>
> Which Ubuntu?
>
> I don't quite understand how Ubuntu manages its xorg.conf, as mine (on a
> Mini 9 on Ubuntu 9.04) is very sparse:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device" SubSection "Display"
> Virtual 1024 1368
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>

> That's /etc/X11/xorg.conf There must be another, but I'm not sure where
> it lives. I can't spot one in /var. The GUI display manager tool works
> fine, so it must be saving the settings somewhere.
>
> I notice a list of monitors I've ever used in ~/.config/monitors.xml but
> I don't know how that gets used.

Many thanks. That's pretty much like the one Ubuntu keeps autogenerating
for me (and what I get it I run dexconf).

I used to loathe NeXTStep because it looked like UNIX, and all the
configuration files you were used to were still there, but the real
configuration was hidden in other places, mostly in binary files you
couldn't edit with a text editor anyway.

I'd really hate to see Linux ending up like that!

Curiously my monitors.xml is in ~/gnome2; it doesn't tell me anything
useful, though, apart from the fact that my screen refresh rate
apparently should be 61Hz.

There's obviously some other configuration file which I just have not
found.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: unetbootin to a HDD
Next: And now the Broadcom rant