From: Simon Brooke on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:02:35 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> In article <7siiolF7qgU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Simon Brooke
> <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>I'm feeling somewhat sour towards Ubuntu just now...
>>
>>I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
>>it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
>>option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
>>Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...
>
> I have an Acer Aspire One - which has the same hardware more or less.
>
> My xorg.conf is at: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xorg.conf

Many thanks. What kernel version are you using? I'm pretty sure it was at
the time that I upgraded to 2.6.24-24-lpia that everything broke (but, of
course, that could be coincidence).

Cheers

Simon

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Simon Brooke on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:02:10 +0000, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> On 30/01/10 12:24, Theo Markettos wrote:
>> Simon Brooke<stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I
>>> bought it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as
>>> an option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until
>>> over Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...
>>
>> Which Ubuntu?
>>
>> I don't quite understand how Ubuntu manages its xorg.conf, as mine (on
>> a Mini 9 on Ubuntu 9.04) is very sparse:
>>
>> Section "Monitor"
>> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>> Identifier "Default Screen"
>> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
>> Device "Configured Video Device" SubSection "Display"
>> Virtual 1024 1368
>> EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
>> EndSection
>>

>> That's /etc/X11/xorg.conf There must be another, but I'm not sure
>> where it lives. I can't spot one in /var. The GUI display manager
>> tool works fine, so it must be saving the settings somewhere.
>>
>> I notice a list of monitors I've ever used in ~/.config/monitors.xml
>> but I don't know how that gets used.
>>
>> Theo
>
> Modern implementations of X server auto-configure using udev. Generally
> they seem to get it right. Only where they can't autodetect the hardware
> do they need a bit of help from a xorg.conf, so that's why your file is
> sparse; there is no other.

H'mmmm. Any idea how I hint to it that it's getting things woefully wrong?

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <7sipm6F7qgU7(a)mid.individual.net>,
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:02:35 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> In article <7siiolF7qgU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Simon Brooke
>> <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>I'm feeling somewhat sour towards Ubuntu just now...
>>>
>>>I bought a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu pre-loaded about a year ago. I bought
>>>it because I wanted to encourage Dell to keep offering Linux as an
>>>option. My Mini 9 been very nice and reliable and useful, until over
>>>Christmas I installed some updates from Ubuntu...
>>
>> I have an Acer Aspire One - which has the same hardware more or less.
>>
>> My xorg.conf is at: http://unicorn.drogon.net/xorg.conf
>
>Many thanks. What kernel version are you using? I'm pretty sure it was at
>the time that I upgraded to 2.6.24-24-lpia that everything broke (but, of
>course, that could be coincidence).

I compiled up 2.6.31 for it.

Still have a few modules as it seems to work better that way:

Module Size Used by
snd_hda_codec_realtek 199552 1
ath5k 123716 0
ath 7804 1 ath5k
snd_hda_intel 24776 2
snd_hda_codec 65724 2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel

Gordon
From: Dominic Hargreaves on
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> H'mmmm. Any idea how I hint to it that it's getting things woefully wrong?

It's probably not what you want to hear, but vanilla 9.10 (upgraded from
a 9.04 installed via the USB live environment over the original Dell
install) works fine for me. I got away from the slightly-customised
proprietary-application-ridden Dell version of Ubuntu as soon as I could
(ie the first release that postdated the hardware's availability
by more than a few months and was likely to have decent support).

From: Ian on
On 30 Jan, 11:16, Simon Brooke <stillyet+n...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> It looks like the update to xserver-xorg-video-intel broke. The intel
> driver is there, but it won't start; so Ubuntu cheerfully wipes out my
> xorg.conf and substitutes it's own, using the vesa driver and insisting
> that the only screen resolutions I have are 640x480 and 800x600.

Have you tried booting it from a live memory stick, either vanilla
Ubuntu or NBR?

Ian
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4