From: Nix on
On 30 Jan 2010, Tony van der Hoff outgrape:
> Modern implementations of X server auto-configure using
> udev.

Unless Ubuntu's gone very bleeding edge this is not true. Current
released X's autoconfigure in two ways:

- the display hardware is directly probed, either by X, or (if kernel
modesetting is in use) by the kernel. Preferred display resolutions,
pixel clocks et seq (the stuff modelines used to cover) are acquired
directly from the monitor via EDID.

- input devices are acquired from HAL. Support for udev has just been
dropped in upstream, eliminating the need to learn how to write the
horrible .fdi quirks files (udev is very much nicer).
From: Folderol on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:19:47 +0000
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> - input devices are acquired from HAL. Support for udev has just been
> dropped in upstream, eliminating the need to learn how to write the
> horrible .fdi quirks files (udev is very much nicer).

I was following fine up to here :(

--
Will J G
From: Tony Houghton on
In <87ljfe5e7w.fsf(a)spindle.srvr.nix>,
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> - input devices are acquired from HAL. Support for udev has just been
> dropped in upstream, eliminating the need to learn how to write the
> horrible .fdi quirks files (udev is very much nicer).

Do you mean HAL has been replaced by udev support? I think this version
has been in Debian unstable for a while (I was using FDI rules for one
of my input devices so I had to find an alternative way of stopping X
from responding to it) so it can't be that bleeding edge ;-).

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Mark Hobley on
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> I actually don't care whether I use the Intel driver (yes I know it's
> proprietary)

Actually xserver-xorg-video-intel is an open source driver, and should work
really well even with 3d accelerated graphics.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Theo Markettos on
Nix <nix-razor-pit(a)esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> - the display hardware is directly probed, either by X, or (if kernel
> modesetting is in use) by the kernel. Preferred display resolutions,
> pixel clocks et seq (the stuff modelines used to cover) are acquired
> directly from the monitor via EDID.

On the subject, is there any way to force the monitor settings? I was
giving a presentation from my netbook, but it turned out the projector
didn't do EDID so I couldn't tell it there was anything attached. I had to
run off down the corridor, find a CRT monitor that would detect EDID, then
pull out the VGA cable, run back down the corridor and plug in the
projector.

I have a few old CRTs that don't to it either. I can't find any way (on UNR
9.04 on a Dell Mini 9) to say 'I have another monitor, please do standard
VGA/SVGA/etc on it'.

Theo
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4