From: VanguardLH on
Bob CP wrote:

> Revo Uninstaller works well for me. Will remove every file and every
> registry reference to your preferences.
> http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

Yep, that is one of the guesser uninstallers. It has a pre-defined set
of actions to commit for well-known applications (but not always for all
versions of those apps). It fails if it is not a pre-defined app in
their database. "Algorithms" and "heuristics" are just another way of
saying "pre-defined rules". That's why you have to update this
uninstaller to get their newest database of rules.

The Pro version of Revo Uninstaller has its real-time install monitor.
This is akin to Zsoft's Uninstaller or other installer loggers. I was
only comparing the free versions. There is a lot of features missing in
the free version; see:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Revo Uninstaller Pro costs $39. Their free lureware version doesn't
have it. Zsoft Uninstaller is completely free (no payware version and
no lures to one in the free version) and doesn't need rules or updates
for them. It scans your registry and file system to take a snapshot,
you do the install, then you do an analyze which does before and after
snapshots to check for all the changes (and why you really should start
the installed program after installing it to capture all those changes,
too). You could always combine the free versions of Revo Uninstall and
Zsoft Uninstaller but probably won't effect any better cleanup. Zsoft
would remove all the changes that Revo missed in its preset rules.
Zsoft is more like an Undo. The *paid* version of Revo Pro with its
real-time install logger would probably obviate the need for Zsoft. Of
course, reverting to partition image backups would guarantee you return
to the exact prior state (since neither Revo or Zsoft provide exact
reversions to a prior state); however, restoring an image means you lose
ALL changes since the image backup, not just those for one particular
install out of many that may occur are saving the image.

Not all installations use Microsoft's installer (MSI). Some may use a
3rd party installer that totally bypasses all recording performed by
MSI. Others may simply unroll a .zip file and create the shortcuts for
you so they didn't really install but just copied some files onto your
host. Revo won't work for those (unless you pay for the Pro version and
also trigger it to record an install since unzipping files probably
doesn't get recorded as an install). Zsoft won't work unless you log
the installation (take a 'before' snapshot, do the install [and run the
program], then analyze [to create an 'after' snapshot] to do a compare
and record the changes).

I might use Revo (free version) to do uninstalls for those installs that
used MSI or were in Revo's pre-defined app rules. That would eliminate
me accidentally forgetting to log an install using Zsoft. However, if I
remember to log all my installs using Zsoft, I don't need Revo. Having
both installed gives you a choice plus you could use both methods.
From: Daave on
Jo-Anne wrote:
> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> A number of the programs I've installed on my WinXP computers come
>>> with their own uninstaller programs. To uninstall, is it better to
>>> use Windows Add-Remove Programs or the individual uninstallers?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>
>> Six of one; half-a-dozen of another. :-)
>>
> Thank you, Daave!

YW. When you use A&R, it executes the uninstaller for that particular
program.

From: Jo-Anne on
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in message

>>> Six of one; half-a-dozen of another. :-)
>>>
>> Thank you, Daave!
>
> YW. When you use A&R, it executes the uninstaller for that particular
> program.

Got it, Daave! Thank you again!

Jo-Anne

From: dadiOH on
Jo-Anne wrote:
> A number of the programs I've installed on my WinXP computers come
> with their own uninstaller programs. To uninstall, is it better to
> use Windows Add-Remove Programs or the individual uninstallers?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

It doesn't matter. The Windows "uninstaller" uses the one that came with
the program. Many (most?) of those don't dump everything either. If you
want to get rid of all use something like Total Uninstall to monitor the
install and use it to uninstall. Revo Uninstaller is another one.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: VanguardLH on
dadiOH wrote:

> If you want to get rid of all use something like Total Uninstall to
> monitor the install and use it to uninstall.

Total Uninstall is payware.
Standard version: $30
Professional version: $40

The free adware version of Revo Uninstaller does not include the real-
time install monitor. You only get install logging with the Pro version
which costs $39.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: External drives