From: Jerry Whittle on
SELECT valveID, Max([Date])
FROM YourTable
GROUP BY valveID
ORDER BY valveID;

If you have a duplicate valveID/Mas of Date combos, it will return all ties.
You could try changing SELECT to SELECT DISTINCT .
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: Jerry Whittle on
Something like the SQL statement below should work. If you aren't use to
using SQL, do this:

Create a plain old select query based on the table and bring down the two
fields in question.

Next go to View, Totals and select that.

You'll notice a new line under the select fields that says Group By under
each. Change the Group By under Date to Max.

See how that works.