From: 123Jim on

"kraut" <kraut3852(a)yahoo.comg> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:57:11 -0700, "shakey" <NOONE(a)NOWHERE.NET>
> wrote:
>
>>Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
>>it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
>>Keeps coming back as a needed update.
>>Any thoughts?
>>SG
>>

> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
> on as far as these updates. You are not the only one to have problems
> with them. I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>
> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
> I have and just ignore those problem updates. Even the so called MVPs
> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
> including me.

Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
..net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them? I
didn't think so :))

From: kraut on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:19:08 +0100, "123Jim"
<jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:

>>>Every time I try to install KB979906 a MS update for net framework 1.1 sp1
>>>it gets half installed then I hear the HD growl and it fails to install.
>>>Keeps coming back as a needed update.
>>>Any thoughts?
>>>SG
>>>

>> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
>> on as far as these updates. You are not the only one to have problems
>> with them. I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>>
>> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
>> I have and just ignore those problem updates. Even the so called MVPs
>> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
>> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
>> including me.
>>

>Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
>.net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them? I
>didn't think so :))

Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.

Thanks for asking.

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

kraut wrote:
> Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.
>
> Thanks for asking.

Obviously something else is wrong with your system that will be diffficult
to troubleshoot remotely and without access to the machine.

I say this because although there may be many people with the problem - in
relative terms - there are very few of the TOTAL who could have the problem
with it. I have not seen it myself - and manage several thousand machines
that could be affected by it.

If the normal means of repairing the issue do not fix it for you but has
worked for others - then the problem you have is more unique than you may
have first thought and the best solution for you may be to start over.

Clean Install Windows XP

Be sure your backups are complete before you do this. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: 123Jim on

>>> Retrieve some of the older headers / posts to see what has been going
>>> on as far as these updates. You are not the only one to have problems
>>> with them. I personally think it is an Microsoft screw-up but ----
>>>
>>> I think after a while most of the people that had trouble have done as
>>> I have and just ignore those problem updates. Even the so called MVPs
>>> have kind of stopped posting their supposed solutions because from
>>> what I read in the groups they have not helped the majority of people
>>> including me.
>>>

>>Trouble is people don't follow instructions :))) did you try removing the
>>.net frameworks by using the net fix utility and then re-installing them?
>>didn't think so :))
>>

> Yes I did and ended up in the same place I was before.
>
> Thanks for asking.

Did the uninstall succeed? I'm baffled I must say ....
<thinks> How about some process is using the .net framework and not allowing
the update in the normal way .. (the process would then make use of .net
framework as soon as it is re-installed) .... Did you go through your
running processes and kill as many as possible before trying to update?