From: RB on
I always keep my updates set to automatic, but notify me first.
A few months ago I had one update that just kept showing up
again and again and seemed to not be able to install. It was
975xxx something can't remember. Finally I just cancelled it
since it never would hold, and then the rest of my updates kept
on updating regularly since.
Now today I get this #979683 update and it is doing the same
thing again. It downloads, it installs and then it pops up again
and says I need to download and install it. It did this over and
over again just like the other one a few months ago. So I had
to cancel it also.
Does anybody know why this update keeps trying to install itself
over and over again and what I might do to fix this ??
How would I notify Microsoft about this, ha probably about like
trying to notify a congressman.
Appreciate any info.

From: DL on
Start MSUpdate, from IE, review the update history, click the ? icon on any
failed update for further info

From: RB on

"DL" wrote in message
> Start MSUpdate, from IE, review the update history, click the ? icon on any failed update for further info

I did what you said, it showed the one that did not install a few months ago,
it was 977165. It did not show the one that did not install today (979683),
probably because I just now cancelled it. Did not see any ? to click on after
I clicked the Review History button. There doesn't seem to be any "failed"
update, just these ones I cancelled due to repeated attempts to install and
"hold" the installation.
It appears from reading that both of these updates had to do with authenticated
users issues, which thickens the plot some. I have no idea why they will not
install on my XP Pro Sp3 ??

From: RB on
Well I kept clicking around at MS and found this:
====================
Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates can visit the following Microsoft Web page for assistance:
https://consumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com
(http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=https%3a%2f%2fconsumersecuritysupport.microsoft.com)
Customers in the United States can contact Customer Service and Support at no charge by using the PC Safety hotline at
1-866-727-2338 (PCSAFETY). Customers outside the United States can visit the following Microsoft Web page to find local contact
numbers:
http://support.microsoft.com/international (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport.microsoft.com%2finternational)
Customers who suspect their systems may have the malware should contact their antivirus (AV) vendor.
On certain Windows XP-based systems, this security update may be reoffered. This problem occurs because certain binaries are in a
"Not Signed" state. To resolve this issue, follow the steps in the "Method 3: Rename the Catroot2 folder" section of the following
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
822798 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/ ) You cannot install some updates or programs
So I will check this out

From: RB on
Well following the intructions in the KB about renaming the Catroot2 folder and then
deleting any tmp *.cat files in Catroot folder and then ran the update again and it
took this time.
So thank you very much for the link, it seems to have fixed the issue.