From: Herman R Standiford on
In outlook express I get windows security warning when opening a file
Windows found this file is probable harmful. To help protect your computer
windows has blocked access to this file.I have searched for an answer for
this and my outlook express security is the same as on a second computer
which doesn't have this problem.

From: Bruce Hagen on
Is this 'file' an attachment?

Tools | Options | Security. Uncheck: "Do not allow
attachments................."
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:53:22 -0400, "Herman R Standiford"
<noonehere(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> In outlook express I get windows security warning when opening a file
> Windows found this file is probable harmful. To help protect your computer
> windows has blocked access to this file.I have searched for an answer for
> this and my outlook express security is the same as on a second computer
> which doesn't have this problem.

You're talking about an attachment?

Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any file
type which *can* contain a virus. It's not a virus checker, doesn't
actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean that there
actually is a virus there.

Such attachments *are* very risky. You often see advice not to open
attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's one of the
most dangerous pieces of advice you see around, because it implies
that it's safe to do the opposite--open attachments from friends and
relatives. But many viruses spread by sending themselves to everyone
in the infected party's address book, so attachments received from
friends are perhaps the *most* risky to open.

Even if the attachment legitimately comes from a friend, it can
contain a virus. I'm not suggesting that a friend is likely to send
you a virus on purpose, but if the friend is infected without
realizing it, any attachment he sends you is likely to also be
infected.

Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never open
attachments at all, except from a *very* few trusted sources, and then
only when I'm expecting them. But if you want to remove this
safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to Tools | Options, and on the
security tab, uncheck "Do not allow attachments..."

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Herman R Standiford on
yes it is a wmv file that has always opened before and still does on my
other computer. This problem just started two days ago. I have done all the
tools options security settings but they do not solve the problem
Herman
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:53:22 -0400, "Herman R Standiford"
> <noonehere(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> In outlook express I get windows security warning when opening a file
>> Windows found this file is probable harmful. To help protect your
>> computer
>> windows has blocked access to this file.I have searched for an answer for
>> this and my outlook express security is the same as on a second computer
>> which doesn't have this problem.
>

> You're talking about an attachment?
>
> Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any file
> type which *can* contain a virus. It's not a virus checker, doesn't
> actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean that there
> actually is a virus there.
>
> Such attachments *are* very risky. You often see advice not to open
> attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's one of the
> most dangerous pieces of advice you see around, because it implies
> that it's safe to do the opposite--open attachments from friends and
> relatives. But many viruses spread by sending themselves to everyone
> in the infected party's address book, so attachments received from
> friends are perhaps the *most* risky to open.
>
> Even if the attachment legitimately comes from a friend, it can
> contain a virus. I'm not suggesting that a friend is likely to send
> you a virus on purpose, but if the friend is infected without
> realizing it, any attachment he sends you is likely to also be
> infected.
>
> Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never open
> attachments at all, except from a *very* few trusted sources, and then
> only when I'm expecting them. But if you want to remove this
> safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to Tools | Options, and on the
> security tab, uncheck "Do not allow attachments..."
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: error messages