From: Rob on
I have two SUSE LINUX 10.0 systems that I want to bring uptodate.

Is it possible to update these to openSUSE 11.2?
Or is the only possibility to install 11.2 from scratch and reconfigure
everything?

One is mainly running as a webserver with Apache and PHP+MYSQL, the
other is running as a mailserver (sendmail) and proxy (squid).
From: David Bolt on
On Saturday 24 Apr 2010 19:24, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Rob painted this mural:

> I have two SUSE LINUX 10.0 systems that I want to bring uptodate.
>
> Is it possible to update these to openSUSE 11.2?

It might be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

> Or is the only possibility to install 11.2 from scratch and reconfigure
> everything?

A fresh install is going to be a much better option. Just keep a backup
of the old config files so you can reconfigure easily.

> One is mainly running as a webserver with Apache and PHP+MYSQL

Apache won't be too much of an issue as SUSE 10.0 had Apache 2.0.54 and
openSUSE 11.2 has 2.2.13. PHP and MySQL may be a different matter. PHP
is at version 5.3.0 and MySQL is at 5.1.36. That compares to PHP
version 4.4.0 and MySQL version 4.1.13.

> , the
> other is running as a mailserver (sendmail)

Sendmail is still at 8.13.4, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

> and proxy (squid).

This may not be an issue either. Squid is available as either 3.0 or
2.7 with 11.2, compared to 2.5 and 3.0 beta. And, the good news is that
I was able to take a squid config from SUSE 9.3 and am using it with
openSUSE 11.1.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M4 32b

From: Rob on
DenverD <spam.trap(a)SOMEwhere.dk> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> I have two SUSE LINUX 10.0 systems that I want to bring uptodate.
>
> i can *guess* that you are asking about SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
> (SLES) 10, in which case your best answer will come from the folks who
> build, sell and support SLES: forums.novell.com

No, this guess is wrong.
It is SUSE LINUX 10.0.
From: Rob on
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 Apr 2010 19:24, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Rob painted this mural:
>
>> I have two SUSE LINUX 10.0 systems that I want to bring uptodate.
>>
>> Is it possible to update these to openSUSE 11.2?
>
> It might be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have installed 11.2 on a new system but I am a bit overwhelmed by
all the details of installation and configuration (that has built up
over the years) that now needs to be transferred to the new systems.

Of course I know that when you upgrade there are a lot of .rpmnew
and .rpmsave files anyway...

Well, I just need to take it up I guess.
From: Darrell Stec on
houghi wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>> I have installed 11.2 on a new system but I am a bit overwhelmed by
>> all the details of installation and configuration (that has built up
>> over the years) that now needs to be transferred to the new systems.
>>
>> Of course I know that when you upgrade there are a lot of .rpmnew
>> and .rpmsave files anyway...
>>
>> Well, I just need to take it up I guess.
>
> Save the YaST settings from the old, load it into the new and see what
> happens. On the plus side, upgrading the system will from now on be a
> lot easier by doing `zypper dup`.
>
> houghi

You might want to tell him how to do that. {Then again you might not.}

--
Later,
Darrell
 |  Next  |  Last