From: Paul on
L.S. wrote:
> ************
> See below each ??
> ************
>
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hcv2jt$4hf$1(a)aioe.org...
>> L.S. wrote:
>>> Not sure if this is correct group. If not, please redirect.
>>>
>>> Winxp fully updated.
>>>
>>> Have three different thumb drives and all lock up system when I insert
>>> into front usb slots. All 3 work on my other system with no problem
>>> running xp.
>>> Have searched Google and find several references but not sure if this is
>>> a system problem or xp.
>>> The system completely locks up and I have to 'reset'.
>>> IF I turn system off insert drive and power up it works fine.
>>> The only thing I have plugged into each system(USB) is a wireless mouse.
>>>
>>> As stated above, I found several references but not sure if it's Winxp
>>> problem or not!
>>> Not sure what, if any, settings I can check/change.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> L.
>> What is the make and model number of the computer ? If you built
>> the computer yourself, what is the make and model of motherboard ?
>> Is the computer case made by Antec ?
>
> **************
> Had it built.
> It's a Biostar Mobo M7NCG 400 with a AMD Sep. 2800+.
> Have 2 USB ports on back card and 2x on front of case.
> Not sure of case name?
> ***************
>
>> Have you been installing custom USB drivers or applying hot fix
>> USB patches to your system ? Or are you using the USB drivers
>> that accompany the OS installation ?
>>
> *************
> The only USB driver I loaded was for an HP 5440 printer which isn't hookup.
> Went back to Deskjet 722c. I have not uninstalled printer.
> No hot fix patches that I know of. Except for the printer I just let winXP
> run it.
> The only updates I do is from MS.
> *************
>
>> Paul

I have an Nforce2 motherboard, and I can't say I ever had any problems
with USB interfaces.

There is a motherboard manual here. JUSBV1 and JUSBV2 are 1x3 pin headers
with a jumper plug on each. The header controls how the USB ports are powered.
JUSBV1 controls the power choice for the rear (I/O area) two USB jacks. JUSBV2
is for the 2x5 USB headers, which would normally be cabled to a front panel USB
if one was present. I've seen a couple different pictures of your motherboard,
one with USB 2x5 headers installed, and another where there are no USB 2x5
headers installed. So I can't be sure that is what is wired to your front
panel. You say you have a USB card, so some of those have one or
two interfaces suitable for connecting to front panel USB as well.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/NCG0624C_B.exe (self-extracting RAR)

There are two choices for JUSBV1/JUSBV2. They can be set to +5V or
+5VSB. The latter choice would be useful for a USB keyboard, where
you wanted the "wake up" function to work from the keyboard. If
you're not waking the computer from a particular USB interface,
then the +5V choice might be better for operation. On my current
computer, all the USB ports run from +5V. +5V is a stronger power
supply rail.

Your Biostar board does appear to have taken precautions for the USB
interfaces (like my Nforce2 board did). There is an electrolytic cap
next to the USB ports, to filter the power fed to the USB interface.
That is supposed to reduce the impact on system power, when a USB
device is plugged in. So it probably isn't a problem like that.
I'm suggesting +5V as a power source, more as a test case, than
as a sure-fire cure.

I doubt it is the USB Mass Storage class driver that is screwing up.
What are the odds of that happening ? Especially when the rear port
works OK with your Kingston 128MB.

Do you see anything in Event Viewer, in terms of any error message
logged during the jam-up ? Have you ever got a blue screen from
it, with an error number or message ?

Paul
From: L.S. on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hcvbt9$hs6$1(a)aioe.org...
> [...]
> computer, all the USB ports run from +5V. +5V is a stronger power
> supply rail.
>
> Your Biostar board does appear to have taken precautions for the USB
> interfaces (like my Nforce2 board did). There is an electrolytic cap
> next to the USB ports, to filter the power fed to the USB interface.
> That is supposed to reduce the impact on system power, when a USB
> device is plugged in. So it probably isn't a problem like that.
> I'm suggesting +5V as a power source, more as a test case, than
> as a sure-fire cure.
>
> I doubt it is the USB Mass Storage class driver that is screwing up.
> What are the odds of that happening ? Especially when the rear port
> works OK with your Kingston 128MB.
>
> Do you see anything in Event Viewer, in terms of any error message
> logged during the jam-up ? Have you ever got a blue screen from

As soon as I insert the drive into a front plug everything locks. No blue
screen, can't Ctrl,Alt, Delete nothing.... even if I pull it out. I'm
forced to reset.
I did find one reference in my searching that stated to turn off 'usb device
legacy support' in bios but not sure about this.
**************

From: Paul on
L.S. wrote:

> **************
> As soon as I insert the drive into a front plug everything locks. No blue
> screen, can't Ctrl,Alt, Delete nothing.... even if I pull it out. I'm
> forced to reset.
> I did find one reference in my searching that stated to turn off 'usb device
> legacy support' in bios but not sure about this.
> **************
>
>> Paul

This is the description in my motherboard manual, for the computer
I'm typing this on.

"Legacy USB Support

Use this item to enable or disable the support to emulate legacy I/O
devices such as mouse, keyboard,... etc. Or you may select [Auto] so
that the system will start to auto-detect; if there is no USB device
connected, �Auto� option will disable the legacy USB support."

There is another description here.

USB Legacy Support
http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=342

The one thing that stands out in your description so far,
is that the back port works, and the front one doesn't.
You'd think the USB Legacy setting would apply equally to
all ports, so if some port works, then that probably isn't
the problem. (The USB Legacy setting only applies to the
motherboard USB ports. If you're using a PCI USB card
as well, the legacy setting doesn't apply to it. As well,
the BIOS would not be using the USB PCI card during system
startup. I don't think you can plug a USB keyboard into
a USB PCI card, and make BIOS setup screen changes with it.)

Are you actually using a PCI USB card ? If so, please
clarify which port is working in your tests. If the Kingston
128MB flash works when plugged into a PCI USB, then that is
different silicon than if you're using ports wired to your
Southbridge. The motherboard has a two jack stack on the
back, in the I/O plate area. The 2x5 motherboards headers
(if present), could be wired to a front panel connector.
If you actually have a PCI USB card, they can have
rear ports (in the PCI area), or on some of them, there
is a connector intended for front panel wiring.

Paul
From: L.S. on
Found it after running test.
Dumb me. I have a USB scanner plugged into pci usb card and that was causing
conflict.
I pulled tower away from wall and then noticed scanner was plugged into
card. My last scanner was not a usb so wasn't thinking and it was plugged in
right below where my Lan card is so didn't notice cable.
Once I unplugged scanner, inserted drive in front, it worked fine.
Have tested all 3 drives and they all work.

Not sure why this is working because all I've done is replug scanner into
the other port on the pci card, plugged drive's' in front slot and they all
work fine.
Why would plugging scanner into other slot on card make a difference?

If you want to beat me about the head and shoulders, go ahead.

From: Paul on
L.S. wrote:
> Found it after running test.
> Dumb me. I have a USB scanner plugged into pci usb card and that was causing
> conflict.
> I pulled tower away from wall and then noticed scanner was plugged into
> card. My last scanner was not a usb so wasn't thinking and it was plugged in
> right below where my Lan card is so didn't notice cable.
> Once I unplugged scanner, inserted drive in front, it worked fine.
> Have tested all 3 drives and they all work.
>
> Not sure why this is working because all I've done is replug scanner into
> the other port on the pci card, plugged drive's' in front slot and they all
> work fine.
> Why would plugging scanner into other slot on card make a difference?
>
> If you want to beat me about the head and shoulders, go ahead.

Maybe there is a problem with that particular port on the
PCI USB card.

Cards with NEC brand chips, have been known to blow out ports
on a regular basis. But I'm not aware of any side effects from
that, other than the port no longer works on the USB PCI card.

There is one other device with known issues. That is the Intel
ICH5 Southbridge chip. The ports on that can blow, and a lot of
the time it seems to be ESD (static discharge) related. While it
is claimed ICH4 has a problem like that too, I've never run into
anyone having a problem with ICH4. But I've probably conversed
with at least 20 people that have lost motherboards due to ICH5.
And I also happen to own a board with ICH5, and I'm extra careful
to not use the USB ports on it :-)

This is what a failed ICH5 looks like. A little burn mark, over
where the chip gets power for the USB ports. Since the chip
typically does not have a heatsink on top of it, it allows
the unlucky user to look at it.

http://onfinite.com/libraries/179057/2ea.jpg

Paul
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last