From: L.S. on
Not sure if this is correct group. If not, please redirect.

Winxp fully updated.

Have three different thumb drives and all lock up system when I insert into
front usb slots. All 3 work on my other system with no problem running xp.
Have searched Google and find several references but not sure if this is a
system problem or xp.
The system completely locks up and I have to 'reset'.
IF I turn system off insert drive and power up it works fine.
The only thing I have plugged into each system(USB) is a wireless mouse.

As stated above, I found several references but not sure if it's Winxp
problem or not!
Not sure what, if any, settings I can check/change.

Thanks,

L.

From: Paul on
L.S. wrote:
> Not sure if this is correct group. If not, please redirect.
>
> Winxp fully updated.
>
> Have three different thumb drives and all lock up system when I insert into
> front usb slots. All 3 work on my other system with no problem running xp.
> Have searched Google and find several references but not sure if this is a
> system problem or xp.
> The system completely locks up and I have to 'reset'.
> IF I turn system off insert drive and power up it works fine.
> The only thing I have plugged into each system(USB) is a wireless mouse.
>
> As stated above, I found several references but not sure if it's Winxp
> problem or not!
> Not sure what, if any, settings I can check/change.
>
> Thanks,
>
> L.

What is the make and model number of the computer ? If you built
the computer yourself, what is the make and model of motherboard ?
Is the computer case made by Antec ?

Have you been installing custom USB drivers or applying hot fix
USB patches to your system ? Or are you using the USB drivers
that accompany the OS installation ?

Paul
From: L.S. on
************
See below each ??
************

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hcv2jt$4hf$1(a)aioe.org...
> L.S. wrote:
>> Not sure if this is correct group. If not, please redirect.
>>
>> Winxp fully updated.
>>
>> Have three different thumb drives and all lock up system when I insert
>> into front usb slots. All 3 work on my other system with no problem
>> running xp.
>> Have searched Google and find several references but not sure if this is
>> a system problem or xp.
>> The system completely locks up and I have to 'reset'.
>> IF I turn system off insert drive and power up it works fine.
>> The only thing I have plugged into each system(USB) is a wireless mouse.
>>
>> As stated above, I found several references but not sure if it's Winxp
>> problem or not!
>> Not sure what, if any, settings I can check/change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> L.
>
> What is the make and model number of the computer ? If you built
> the computer yourself, what is the make and model of motherboard ?
> Is the computer case made by Antec ?

**************
Had it built.
It's a Biostar Mobo M7NCG 400 with a AMD Sep. 2800+.
Have 2 USB ports on back card and 2x on front of case.
Not sure of case name?
***************

> Have you been installing custom USB drivers or applying hot fix
> USB patches to your system ? Or are you using the USB drivers
> that accompany the OS installation ?

*************
The only USB driver I loaded was for an HP 5440 printer which isn't hookup.
Went back to Deskjet 722c. I have not uninstalled printer.
No hot fix patches that I know of. Except for the printer I just let winXP
run it.
The only updates I do is from MS.
*************

From: L.S. on
Update...

I just tried plugging a Kingston 128mb card in the back slot and it worked
fine.
Not the back built-in USB slot but the added card.

From: L.S. on
Not to drive you nuts but trying to give info.
Update2

I unplugged my wieless mouse from back and plugged it in front USB port and
it worked ok. As soon as I plugged in flash drive(front) it locked up.

> Update...
>
> I just tried plugging a Kingston 128mb card in the back slot and it worked
> fine.
> Not the back built-in USB slot but the added card.
>

> "L.S." <notgood(a)yahooie.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this is correct group. If not, please redirect.
>>
>> Winxp fully updated.
>>
>> Have three different thumb drives and all lock up system when I insert
>> into front usb slots. All 3 work on my other system with no problem
>> running xp.
>> Have searched Google and find several references but not sure if this is
>> a system problem or xp.
>> The system completely locks up and I have to 'reset'.
>> IF I turn system off insert drive and power up it works fine.
>> The only thing I have plugged into each system(USB) is a wireless mouse.
>>
>> As stated above, I found several references but not sure if it's Winxp
>> problem or not!
>> Not sure what, if any, settings I can check/change.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> L.
>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3