From: wolfgang kern on

"io_x" aka Rosario replied to his own ;)

added to AOD

> for more 'musical' notes there is need to break them
> in the way they are understendable.

TYhe story of PC-Music is quite old, and the very first attempts
to produce music and aslso good understandable voice-streams by
passing it to the PC-speaker were really astonishing.

> i have no study music but it seems to me that there is something of kind
>
> |-------|---|--------|-------|

the sound of computer music always were:

attack/decay/pause/

OLDe Standard Sound worked with 'attack'/'decay'-commands
like the well know C64-sound.

> where | are random pause where + melodies meet themself
> but this is not clear to me much (is possible
> if one see something for doing that with 2 melodies
> it could increase the number of notes
> and write the true music machine)

This may depend on the tool you got.
ie: SB-organ/SB-speech/and similar 'helpers' created a ".wav"
which could be used to feed an Adlib-port w/o further notice.

But commands to newer devices are unfortunately more complex
(sense/suround/etc...)

> ;com file
.... '.com' files usually work in restricted/emulated modes anyway.

Yes, you can still use your PC-speaker to produce same kind
of noise, bit as this HW-parts became just 'beepers' on new
machines instead of (analogue aware Speakers) we lost the opportunity
to use them (like we did in the past) for speach and music.

'Modern sound' on any not too old PC goes over the HW-cababilities
of the implied chipset and/or of an external HW-device.

So here we either have to rely on the few (restricted) standards
like ADLIB(388/389h) or SB (port 240h.., or given by PCI-config?)
Or we need a driver (usually only made for M$ and rare for L'unix).
[not talking about 3D/SURROUND-SOUND opportunities yet]

The problem with most recent game-DVD/CD is that they need their own
driver support, beside the paranoid protection demands (which can
be easy overridden by online available patches anyway ...)
But often need an DX-upgrade/reboot at least.
(I really hate this and I hope all my curses reach the target !!)

__
wolfgang

From: io_x on

"wolfgang kern" <nowhere(a)never.at> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "io_x" aka Rosario replied to his own ;)
>
> added to AOD
>
>> for more 'musical' notes there is need to break them
>> in the way they are understendable.

there someone hear notes melody noises etc?

in this pc i hear the speaker and melodys
and the sleep function at start of code wait for 2 seconds

in the other pc i hear nothing
and the sleep function at start of code wait for 4 seconds

is that rdtsc instruction misure the clock of cpu and not the time?
more speed is cpu, more speed is how rdtsc update eax edx;
so rdtsc shoud be not the way for measure time, or not?

From: wolfgang kern on

"io_x" wrote:

>>> for more 'musical' notes there is need to break them
>>> in the way they are understendable.

> there someone hear notes melody noises etc?

this digital produced square-waves became distorted by the
inductivity of a 'real' magnet-type speaker, so for a very
small frequency-range it may even sound like sine-wave.

newer machines got just cristal-beepers, so the square-wave
will reach your ears almost unfiltered.

> in this pc i hear the speaker and melodys
> and the sleep function at start of code wait for 2 seconds

> in the other pc i hear nothing
> and the sleep function at start of code wait for 4 seconds

> is that rdtsc instruction misure the clock of cpu and not the time?
> more speed is cpu, more speed is how rdtsc update eax edx;
> so rdtsc shoud be not the way for measure time, or not?

RDTSC work on CPU-clocks, so if you know the frequency you're
able to use it for timing. Even it's not too exact especial
on multicore CPUs, it should be accurate enough for sound delay.

__
wolfgang

From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Feb 7, 2:19 am, "wolfgang kern" <nowh...(a)never.at> wrote:
> > there someone hear notes melody noises etc?
>
> this digital produced square-waves became distorted by the
> inductivity of a 'real' magnet-type speaker, so for a very
> small frequency-range it may even sound like sine-wave.
>
> newer machines got just cristal-beepers, so the square-wave
> will reach your ears almost unfiltered.

Don't newest notebooks simply use the same speakers for both
functions?

Alex
From: wolfgang kern on

Alexei A. Frounze wrote:

<q>
>> there someone hear notes melody noises etc?

> this digital produced square-waves became distorted by the
> inductivity of a 'real' magnet-type speaker, so for a very
> small frequency-range it may even sound like sine-wave.

> newer machines got just cristal-beepers, so the square-wave
> will reach your ears almost unfiltered.

Don't newest notebooks simply use the same speakers for both
functions?
</q>

I haven't checked on details yet, but when I hear BIOS beep
this sound quite different than the usual stereo-'notify.wav'.

Even possible, I daubt that a mobile BIOS emulate
port 61h+42h or use the onboard soundchip or direct gate the
speaker(s) just for a beep.

The 'BIOS'-Beep got a meaning and it's direct gated,
ie: permanent sound if fatal mainboard errors like missing
clock or no CPU, or no ROM or no RAM inserted ...

__
wolfgang