From: Alexei A. Frounze on
On Feb 7, 4:47 pm, "wolfgang kern" <nowh...(a)never.at> wrote:
> Alexei A. Frounze wrote:
>
> <q>

> >> there someone hear notes melody noises etc?
> > this digital produced square-waves became distorted by the
> > inductivity of a 'real' magnet-type speaker, so for a very
> > small frequency-range it may even sound like sine-wave.
> > newer machines got just cristal-beepers, so the square-wave
> > will reach your ears almost unfiltered.
>
> Don't newest notebooks simply use the same speakers for both
> functions?
> </q>
>
> I haven't checked on details yet, but when I hear BIOS beep
> this sound quite different than the usual stereo-'notify.wav'.
>
> Even possible, I daubt that a mobile BIOS emulate
> port 61h+42h or use the onboard soundchip or direct gate the
> speaker(s) just for a beep.
>
> The 'BIOS'-Beep got a meaning and it's direct gated,
> ie: permanent sound if fatal mainboard errors like missing
> clock or no CPU, or no ROM or no RAM inserted ...

Yes, they could either use the sound chip's input or connect directly
to the speaker(s). Either way, I don't think a dedicated beep speaker
is needed in notebooks.

Alex
From: wolfgang kern on

Alexei A. Frounze wrote:

<q>
>>> there someone hear notes melody noises etc?
>> this digital produced square-waves became distorted by the
>> inductivity of a 'real' magnet-type speaker, so for a very
>> small frequency-range it may even sound like sine-wave.
>> newer machines got just cristal-beepers, so the square-wave
>> will reach your ears almost unfiltered.

> Don't newest notebooks simply use the same speakers for both
> functions?

> I haven't checked on details yet, but when I hear BIOS beep
> this sound quite different than the usual stereo-'notify.wav'.

> Even possible, I daubt that a mobile BIOS emulate
> port 61h+42h or use the onboard soundchip or direct gate the
> speaker(s) just for a beep.

> The 'BIOS'-Beep got a meaning and it's direct gated,
> ie: permanent sound if fatal mainboard errors like missing
> clock or no CPU, or no ROM or no RAM inserted ...

Yes, they could either use the sound chip's input or connect directly
to the speaker(s). Either way, I don't think a dedicated beep speaker
is needed in notebooks.
</q>

Ok, next time when I have one in hand I'll take it as apart,
just to see the truth :)
__
wolfgang

From: Nathan Baker on
"wolfgang kern" <nowhere(a)never.at> wrote in message

> TYhe story of PC-Music is quite old, and the very first attempts
> to produce music and aslso good understandable voice-streams by
> passing it to the PC-speaker were really astonishing.
>
>> i have no study music but it seems to me that there is something of kind
>>
>> |-------|---|--------|-------|
>
> the sound of computer music always were:
>
> attack/decay/pause/
>
> OLDe Standard Sound worked with 'attack'/'decay'-commands
> like the well know C64-sound.

I remember it being 4 parts: attack/decay/sustain/release. This was a
rudimentary (but effective) method of allowing the programmer to determine
the shape of an individual note. I'd imagine that to simulate a
sawtooth-like hum, you'd set a relatively gradual attack, a sharp decay and
release, and a 0 amplitude sustain. Then you'd probably fire-off several of
these same-shaped notes in rapid succession to obtain the 'hum' effect.

There is a cross-platform library that seems to provide a different approach
to shaping the waveform: http://www.portaudio.com/

Also, for fans of the old 'built-in' PC-speaker, the is a library for
specifically playing chiptune sounds ("beep the beeper" as Betov would say):
http://github.com/whymirror/bloopsaphone#readme

Nathan.