From: mp on

"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 18/03/2010 13:02, Dee Earley wrote:
>> On 18/03/2010 12:52, mp wrote:
>>> A million thanks to Ulrich for his awesome cFileSearch class!!!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make a little back up prog for my code files due to
>>> working on
>>> laptop at home, desktop at work, and usb harddrive to port from one to
>>> the
>>> other back and forth
>>> so sometimes i'm working on any of the 3, and i'm trying to make a
>>> quick way
>>> to make sure the lastest version is on all 3 drives.
>
> Or use DropBox :)
> https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI5MzE3MzE5
>
> --
> Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
> i-Catcher Development Team
>
> iCode Systems

interesting option, I'm not always on line, though, but thanks for the tip!
plus getting my little backup routine is also good for my learning
process...
:-)

From: mp on

"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
>>I sent this at 8 am but it never showed up, i wonder if replying will show
>>up?
>
> It showed up for me using ms news server. There are 2 replies by Dee
> Earley.

Interesting! I didn't know about this server...i've always linked to
news.microsoft.com
are these basically duplicate server names?
but yes, it does show up here and not on news.microsoft.com for me in
outlookexpress anyway
thanks
mark

From: mp on

> On 18/03/2010 12:52, mp wrote:
>> A million thanks to Ulrich for his awesome cFileSearch class!!!
>>

>> so i wanted to pass the whole udt in an event instead of just the
>> filename
>> Event FirstFileNewerUDT(Firstname As String, INFO As TFileData)
>> !!!-can't do that - "Only public types in public objects can be used as
>> arg
>> etc etc - error msg"
>>
>> So i guess i'll just create a new little class to hold the elements and
>> pass
>> the object instead of the udt???
>> or create the event to pass multiple args instead of just one object?
>
> Can't you move the type into the class file?
>
> I can never remember the limitations on classes and types until I come
> accross them.
>
> --
> Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)

I will try that. so I just copy the Public def from the bas into the cls?
Then i wonder if i have to copy it into the form as well, in order to
receive it in the event?
I'll play around with that...
I was thinking that one only wants a definition in one place, and since the
CFileSearch Class needs it in mFileSearch.Bas, that making copies was not a
good idea....but if it works what the heck.

what about the idea of a separate class to hold the values i want and just
pass that?
pros and cons anyone?

thanks
mark

From: Karl E. Peterson on
mp wrote:
> "Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 18/03/2010 12:52, mp wrote:
>>> A million thanks to Ulrich for his awesome cFileSearch class!!!
>>>

>>> so i wanted to pass the whole udt in an event instead of just the filename
>>> Event FirstFileNewerUDT(Firstname As String, INFO As TFileData)
>>> !!!-can't do that - "Only public types in public objects can be used as
>>> arg
>>> etc etc - error msg"
>>>
>>> So i guess i'll just create a new little class to hold the elements and
>>> pass
>>> the object instead of the udt???
>>> or create the event to pass multiple args instead of just one object?
>>
>> Can't you move the type into the class file?
>>
>> I can never remember the limitations on classes and types until I come
>> accross them.
>>
>> -- Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
>
> I will try that. so I just copy the Public def from the bas into the cls?
> Then i wonder if i have to copy it into the form as well, in order to receive
> it in the event?
> I'll play around with that...
> I was thinking that one only wants a definition in one place, and since the
> CFileSearch Class needs it in mFileSearch.Bas, that making copies was not a
> good idea....but if it works what the heck.
>
> what about the idea of a separate class to hold the values i want and just
> pass that?
> pros and cons anyone?

I agree. Either pass multiple args, or a class that exposes them as
properties. Types really have no place in the COM world.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: mp on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> mp wrote:
>> "Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message

snip

>> what about the idea of a separate class to hold the values i want and
>> just pass that?
>> pros and cons anyone?
>
> I agree. Either pass multiple args, or a class that exposes them as
> properties. Types really have no place in the COM world.
>
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

So any 'best practice' principles to decide between the two?
multiple args/ vs class ?

Many thanks for your input!
mark