From: Wendy Elizabeth on
I am asking for help on compiling a vb.net 2008 application since I have not
been able to obtain a successful build with no errors yet.

This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.

This vb.net 2008 solution has lots of project files in it.

You can compile this application in the following modes:
a.debug, b. debug-test, c.debug-development, d. debug-production,
e. release, and there is a class manager configuration file.

I am getting errors like:

1. Error 33 The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could
not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
TableAdapterManager.vb

I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do

2. Warning 2 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly
"Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference
is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
Thus can you tell me how to resolve this problem.

3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good build
for this soltuion?

Us girls at work have not seen a program like this before since
our most recent experience is using Vb.net 2003.

Thank you very much!
From: Phill W. on
On 26/06/2010 03:46, Wendy Elizabeth wrote:

> This application that we need to support has no documentation and the
> programmer(s) who wrote the application are not with the company any longer.

Oh dear; one of Those.

> I am getting errors like:

> 2. Warning 2 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly
> "Q.proxy". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference
> is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
You're missing an assembly (called "Q.Proxy") that the program needs in
order to compile.

> I know that the program would compile without the proxies but I can tell
> from the code that I will to use proxies like this.
Those two statements don't make sense together.
If the program "would compile" without these, why isn't it doing so?
If you do need them, then you need to track down the missing assembly.
Good Luck on that one - if this Developer-in-absentia uses such a lousy
naming convention as "Q.Proxy", they're unlikely to have kept anything
else in particularly good order. :-(

> 1. Error 33 The type or namespace name 'completionImport' could
> not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\
> TableAdapterManager.vb
>
> I can find the namespace in lots of different *.cs files. However I do not
> know what to do get get the correct *.cs file. I am guessing this has to do
If you can find lots of "Using" directives at the top of each file, then
you're just finding more places that will generate this error if and
when the compiler gets that far through the code.
"Using" directives (exactly like "Imports" in Visual Basic) only save
you typing, they don't get you anything that wasn't there before:

System.IO.FileStream fs = new System.IO.FileStream( ...

Using System.IO;
FileStream fs = new FileStream( ...

Again, this probably comes down to a missing [referenced] assembly.

> 3. Can you also tell me know to figure out how to obtain a good build
> for this soltuion?
Find those missing assemblies.
<music
title="Mission : Impossible"