From: Russell3 on
In system event viewer I have the following error message:
Event ID 29
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No
attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no
source of accurate time.

My timezone is New Zealand Daylight time.

I have had this error since settign up SBS 2003. Serching this list I have
found advice and none of the methods suggested have removed the error.

For example I have tried running this script on the server"
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL
w32tm /config /update
net stop w32time
net start w32time
w32tm /resync /nowait

The error persists. I welcome any advice.

Thanks,
Russell

From: cjobes on
You are either using providers in your list that don't exist or are
restricted, or you don't have UDP 123 open (ISA if exists and your router).

Claus

From: "Crina Li" on
Hi Russell,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

From your description, I understand the issue to be: you receive event 29
regarding w32time. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please do not
hesitate to let me know.

Based on my experience, I would like to suggest you try the following
suggestions:

A. Make sure the Windows Time service is enabled and started
------------------------
The Windows Time service will be disabled by CEICW when you have a PPPoE
connection which is treated as a non-stable connection. I suggest you click
Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and click OK. When the
Services snap-in opens, check to make sure the Windows Time service is
started and its startup type is set to "Automatic".

B: Make sure ISA is allowing the NTP traffic on UDP port 123 (if you have
ISA installed)
------------------------
If you have ISA server 2000 installed on the SBS 2003 server, please
perform the following steps to configure ISA:

1. In the ISA Server management tool, expand the management nodes that are
beneath your server name.

2. Expand the Access Policy branch to view the list of access policies.

3. Right-click IP Packet Filters, point to New, and then click Filter to
start the New IP Packet Filter Wizard.

4. Type a descriptive name for the filter (such as "SNTP Allow Filter"
(without the quotation marks)), and then click Next.

5. Click Allow packet transmission as the Filter Mode, and then click Next.

6. Click Custom as the filter type, and then click Next.

7. On the Filter Settings page, click UDP for the IP protocol, click "Send
receive" for the direction, "All ports" as the local port, click "Fixed
port" as the remote port, use port 123 as the remote port number, and then
click Next.

8. Keep the default settings by clicking Next through the next two wizard
pages, and then click Finish at the Completing The New IP Packet Filter
Wizard page.

9. Go to Monitoring\Services and restart the Firewall service. Check if the
issue disappears.

For more info, see:

323621 How To Configure the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) on ISA
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323621

887355 The server cannot synchronize with an external time source after you
run the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard on Windows Small
Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;887355

If it is ISA 2004, open the ISA management console, go to Firewall Policy,
right click the "SBS Local Host Access Rule" in the right panel, and select
Properties. Go to Protocols tab to make sure NTP (UDP) is added.

C. Re-configure the Windows Time service
------------------------
Open a command prompt and run the following commands to re-configure the
time service to sync time with time.nist.gov:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.nist.gov,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL

w32tm /config /update

net stop w32time

net start w32time

D. Make sure the hardware router or firewall is allowing the traffic
------------------------
Check if you have a hardware router/firewall in front of your SBS server,
if so, please open Registry Editor (regedit), go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\Type
, change the value data from whatever to Nt5DS and restart the W32Time
service. Maue sure the service's startup type is till set to automatic.

For more info:

816042 How to configure the Windows Time service on a Windows Server
2003-based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816042

You can also try other time sources.

262680 A List of the Simple Network Time Protocol Time Servers That Are
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262680

E. Ask and apply the hot fix 830092
------------------------
Please contact Microsoft PSS to obtain and install the following hot fix:

830092 W32Time frequently logs Event ID 50 and poor time synchronization
occurs
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=830092

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
From: Russell3 on
Thanks Clause for your hint. Providers in the list include known working ones.
Looking at the program list in control panel -> Add/Remove, ISA is no
tinstalled, as "microsoft Security and Accelerator Server" is not in the list.
I'm still looking for a solution. See my reply to Crina Li.

From: cjobes on
Well, I don't see a reply to Crina on my server. You mean to tell me that
you don't have any firewall at all between your SBS and the outside world
and no firewall on your SBS either? You really have set yourself up for a
big desaster.