From: Rahul on
We had a on-site disaster with a high pressure water leak inside a hot
aisle. A number of working servers were drenched.

Are there procedures that will allow me to know if or not there is long
term damage? We did contract a remidiation compnay but from what I know of
their procedures they only did a visual inspection and power supply check.
Seems unsatisfactory.

But what if there is microcorrossion etc? What are the reccomende
procedures? Are there ways or tools that can check the circuit boards for
damage? Or is it pretty much standard approach to declare the server a
loss? Are there tools that the vendors have to test damage reliably?

Many of the servers are working right now but since these were brand new I
was wondering how one can judge their long term prospects.

Also there were a number of machines in surrounding racks that were not
directly drenched visibly. But might have water droplets or humidity beyond
operating specs. How does one treat these machines?

--
Rahul
From: Terryc on
Rahul wrote:

> Many of the servers are working right now but since these were brand new I
> was wondering how one can judge their long term prospects.

Well, you missed your chance didn't you. If you wanted to claim on them,
then you should have just dropped them in a bucket of water and turned
them on.

Frankly, I have twenty year old computers that I expect to outlast some
recenetly purchased band name components.

> Also there were a number of machines in surrounding racks that were not
> directly drenched visibly. But might have water droplets or humidity beyond
> operating specs. How does one treat these machines?

Hot air blower to dry any moisutre out, WD40 and or work all cards and
socketed items.

From: JTF on
On Feb 19, 7:34 pm, Terryc <newsfourspam-s...(a)woa.com.au> wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
> > Many of the servers are working right now but since these were brand new I
> > was wondering how one can judge their long term prospects.
>
> Well, you missed your chance didn't you. If you wanted to claim on them,
> then you should have just dropped them in a bucket of water and turned
> them on.
>
> Frankly, I have twenty year old computers that I expect to outlast some
> recenetly purchased band name components.
>

> > Also there were a number of machines in surrounding racks that were not
> > directly drenched visibly. But might have water droplets or humidity beyond
> > operating specs. How does one treat these machines?
>
> Hot air blower to dry any moisutre out, WD40 and or work all cards and
> socketed items.

WD-40 will leave a oil residue behind which may be electrically
conductive (I haven't haven;t had a need to test that). Brake cleaner
will speed dry the components but will also remove heat sink
gels....Alcohol will be gentler to the boards, mixes with and
evaporates water to promote drying.....

The biggest threat to computers is water, but ONLY if the systems were
on when the interior was exposed to water....Just because the computer
case got wet does not mean the interior of the system is wet. Take
each one, one by one, outside and inspect and blow out with a leaf
blower to ensure no water is hiding under system boards. (this also is
effective in removing dust).

I know of a few computers that were directly exposed to water at a
fire scene....since they were off at the time of exposure, they were
dried in the sun for a day and powered on and were used for a few
years afterwards without issue.

Pages: 1
Prev: Dell Demension L400c-L500r
Next: EAPryFeiuXCsM