From: Mars on
Hi- i have 2 sites intra.site.com and www.site.com where www is a extended
site on the intra.site.com web application and www is visible from outside
network. I'm using 'sharepointsearchservicetool' to call search webservice
from a outside netwrok using www.site.com/_vit_bin/search.asmx.It fails
saying 'authentication failure' but it works with
intra.site.com/_vti_bin/search.asmx.when the search tool is connected to
intra url it shows a ssp binding id on the top.Is there any limitation on
webservice calls for extended sites? is there something on the ssp side to
tweak to make it work with the extended site?
Thanks
From: "Steven Cheng" on
Hi,

From your description, you have a sharepoint web application that has
extended to internet zone, however, you found that calling the
searchservice webservice (of the internet site) will result to
authentication error, correct?

According to sharepoint web application's authentication setting, it use
windows authentication by default, therefore, the search service(or other
asmx webservice) client will also need to supply windows credentials when
consuming it. I'm wondering whether your internet site has changed the
authentication provider to enable custom authentication or remain the
windows authentication. If using windows authentication, whether the client
caller of your internet site search service is within the same
domain/network, if not, it is possible that the client cannot supply
correctly windows authentication credentials. For test, you can try
directly use a visual studio "Add WebREference" generated client to call a
certain webservice method on your internet site(and intranet site) to see
whether the same behavior occurs.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead