From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> Aside from that, *viruses* (file infectors, as opposed to worms) do
> not depend on the aforementioned holes and exploits (I also think BTS
> meant software vulnerabilities, not exploits).

BTS did. Any of those nasty things that mess up your life. <g>

> That being said, I don't expect much from MSE except mediocrity

Good place for a fullstop.

> - not that that's such a bad thing.

"MSE - best thing since sliced OSes." ;-)

--
-bts
-The Microsoft Motto: "We're the leaders, wait for us!"
From: FromTheRafters on
"Bad Boy Charlie" <Legba(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

> - statistics as of Feb 2010..
> Estimated worldwide installed LinuxOS user base is .98%
> Estimated worldwide installed MacOS user base is 5.02%
> Estimated worldwide installed WindowsOS user base is 92.12%
>
> (-source
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9 )
>
> Certainly the raw numbers of exploits will be orders of magnitude
> higher
> for whichever OS is installed on 92.12% of all the PCs on Earth. But
> the
> raw numbers are deceptive without quantification.

A better metric might be the total lines of code (LOC) in those OSes -
more code means more bugs and flaws likely. The marketshare makes it
more worthwhile for those wishing to discover those flaws and bugs to
see what percentage can be leveraged to an exploitable vulnerability.
Looks like a simultaneous equation might give results in line with
David's assertion*.

All *without* having to say MS should make vacuum cleaners.

* (actual mathematical contortions and data collection left as an
excercise for the reader) :o)

From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 21:38:43 -0500, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Bad Boy Charlie" <Legba(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>[...]
>
>> - statistics as of Feb 2010..
>> Estimated worldwide installed LinuxOS user base is .98%
>> Estimated worldwide installed MacOS user base is 5.02%
>> Estimated worldwide installed WindowsOS user base is 92.12%
>>
>> (-source
>> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9 )
>>
>> Certainly the raw numbers of exploits will be orders of magnitude
>> higher
>> for whichever OS is installed on 92.12% of all the PCs on Earth. But
>> the
>> raw numbers are deceptive without quantification.
>
>A better metric might be the total lines of code (LOC) in those OSes -
>more code means more bugs and flaws likely. The marketshare makes it
>more worthwhile for those wishing to discover those flaws and bugs to
>see what percentage can be leveraged to an exploitable vulnerability.
>Looks like a simultaneous equation might give results in line with
>David's assertion*.
>
>All *without* having to say MS should make vacuum cleaners.
>
>* (actual mathematical contortions and data collection left as an
>excercise for the reader) :o)

I had intended to add the attraction that the predominate OS has for
malware authors. Way back when around WFW 3.11 the numbers may have been
more skewed towards David's assertions..if so..maybe...BUT certainly not
any longer.

I am (once again) toying with installing Ubuntu in a Win7 dual boot
arrangement. I've looked at it before but as we all know Linux has it's
share of issues too. It's just not the #1 prime target for exploitation
based on it's 5% share of the world's user base. Wonder if that 5%
includes servers too. Hmm....I must really be bored to beat that Linux
horse again. I gotta say (apart from security issues) due to it's
overwhelming popularity, Windows 7 is really sweet.....
From: Dave Cohen on
On 3/6/2010 5:43 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:

>>> One only has to be on a CERT email list and you'll see that you get MORE email on IA
>>> vulnerabilities on MS Windows than on other OS'.
>
>>> It has NOTHING to do with the distribution of the OS in the field.
>
> | Since common logic seems ineffective, let's try hyperbole instead.
>

> Wrong.
>
> You are confusing eploitation vs. vulnerability.
>
> Exploitation is a function distribution.
>
> ** Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

<irrelevant stuff snipped>
Linux users are inclined to be more computer savvy than the average
windows user and that needs to be thrown into the discussion.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dave Cohen" <user(a)example.net>

>> | Since common logic seems ineffective, let's try hyperbole instead.

>> Wrong.

>> You are confusing eploitation vs. vulnerability.

>> Exploitation is a function distribution.

>> ** Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.

| <irrelevant stuff snipped>
| Linux users are inclined to be more computer savvy than the average
| windows user and that needs to be thrown into the discussion.

OK :-)

--
Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last