From: Rick on
what makes a firewall better than another?
(or worse)

From: Jon Solberg on
On 2010-04-01, Rick <rick0.merrill(a)gmail.com.lessspam> wrote:
> what makes a firewall better than another?
> (or worse)

Its user base.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam." from email address)
From: Leythos on
In article <hp28eo$4qc$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
rick0.merrill(a)gmail.com.lessspam says...

> what makes a firewall better than another?
> (or worse)

Appliances or Dedicated firewall servers are better than anything you
install on a computer that is used by anyone.

I look for a couple things in firewall appliances:

1) Length of time in the market
2) HTTP Proxy service that can removed malicious items
3) HTTP Proxy service that can block content by IP, Name, Category
4) HTTP Proxy service that can detect attacks and block traffic
from the source
5) SMTP Proxy (IN/OUT) that can detect and block files by name/type
6) SMTP Proxy (IN/OUT) that can detect and block malicious items
7) SMTP Proxy that can rewrite headers to hide internal LAN info
Allows multiple HTTP rules based on user ID or LAN IP, to create
different rules/filtering per user/lan segment.
Allows complete real-time visibility to in/out traffic and rate
Inexpensive renewal costs for AV/Spam services
Ability to upgrade capacity without actually replacing hardware.

Trust yourself.
From: Rick on
Jon Solberg wrote:
> On 2010-04-01, Rick<rick0.merrill(a)gmail.com.lessspam> wrote:
>> what makes a firewall better than another?
>> (or worse)
>
> Its user base.

snort!-)

From: ObiWan on

> I look for a couple things in firewall appliances:
[snip]

Agreed; although a "personal firewall" <g> has its
merits; I think one may look at such a critter like an
IDS/IPS; sure, it also filters network traffic, but imHo
that's mostly a task for the perimeter firewalls, on
the other hand, a local program may help getting
alerts in case something isn't working "as expected"
btw, in a quite large environment, having a program
with central management and alerting will be of help
but in general, a "personal firewall" has some value
even when you have h/w appliances in place