From: cerr on
Hi There,

My application sometimes randomly receives a SIGKILL signal, gdb would
say something like:
Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
The program no longer exists.
(gdb)
And i have no clue why? When does the system send a SIGKILL? There is
no 3rd application send anything to mine....

Thanks for hints!
From: John Gordon on
In <729a2645-1597-4941-acff-e6aad7db827c(a)p24g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> cerr <ron.eggler(a)gmail.com> writes:

> My application sometimes randomly receives a SIGKILL signal, gdb would
> say something like:
> Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
> The program no longer exists.
> (gdb)
> And i have no clue why? When does the system send a SIGKILL? There is
> no 3rd application send anything to mine....

Have you asked the system administrator if they're sending the kill signal?

gordon(a)panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears

From: Scott Lurndal on
cerr <ron.eggler(a)gmail.com> writes:
>Hi There,
>
>My application sometimes randomly receives a SIGKILL signal, gdb would
>say something like:
>Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
>The program no longer exists.
>(gdb)
>And i have no clue why? When does the system send a SIGKILL? There is
>no 3rd application send anything to mine....
>
>Thanks for hints!

You don't mention what operating system you are using. Linux has something
called the Out Of Memory (OOM) killer, which will send SIGKILL to applications
when the system is under memory pressure. Such events will be logged in
/var/log/messages (or whatever logfile is being used, see /etc/syslog.conf).

scott
From: cerr on
On Jan 11, 12:59 pm, John Gordon <gor...(a)panix.com> wrote:
> In <729a2645-1597-4941-acff-e6aad7db8...(a)p24g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> cerr <ron.egg...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> > My application sometimes randomly receives a SIGKILL signal, gdb would
> > say something like:
> > Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
> > The program no longer exists.
> > (gdb)
> > And i have no clue why? When does the system send a SIGKILL? There is
> > no 3rd application send anything to mine....
>
> Have you asked the system administrator if they're sending the kill signal?

The administrator in this case would be myself....

From: cerr on
On Jan 11, 1:25 pm, sc...(a)slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
> cerr <ron.egg...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> >Hi There,
>
> >My application sometimes randomly receives a SIGKILL signal, gdb would
> >say something like:
> >Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
> >The program no longer exists.
> >(gdb)
> >And i have no clue why? When does the system send a SIGKILL? There is
> >no 3rd application send anything to mine....
>
> >Thanks for hints!
>
> You don't mention what operating system you are using.   Linux has something
> called the Out Of Memory (OOM) killer, which will send SIGKILL to applications
> when the system is under memory pressure.   Such events will be logged in
> /var/log/messages (or whatever logfile is being used, see /etc/syslog.conf).
I'm running Linux and i've been looking at my syslog file (all
messages going into /var/log/messages) and i dont' see any messages
that aren't coming from my own application....so a memory leak would
be a reason you're saying, huh?
Hmm....I can't see this being a problem, i think i free() everything
that's been allocated with malloc/realloc....