From: Daniel Brown on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 21:04, Daniel Brown <danbrown(a)php.net> wrote:

>    Indeed.  It would probably be better to read, "Unavailable as of
> PHP 6."  I'll patch that in the XML sources now, and the next time the
> manual rebuilds, the changes will take effect.

Future builds will appear as hinted in the following SVN commit log:

http://news.php.net/php.doc.cvs/6235

Thanks again for the suggestion, Rob.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
From: "Robert P. J. Day" on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Daniel Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 16:59, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday(a)crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  i don't see a separate mailing list for documentation so is this
> > where i would point at oddities in the manual?  as in, here:
> >
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php
> >
> > we read:
> >
> > "// Unavailable since PHP 6."
> >
> > that just looks weird, no?
>
> Indeed. It would probably be better to read, "Unavailable as of
> PHP 6." I'll patch that in the XML sources now, and the next time
> the manual rebuilds, the changes will take effect.

precisely the point i was trying to make, but i might avoid the use
of the word "unavailable" since that's still slightly ambiguous. it
makes it seem like it's still there somehow, you just can't get to it.
i would be more direct, something like "*removed* as of PHP 6." then
there's no confusion.

> For the future, please report such things as Documentation
> Problems at http://bugs.php.net/.

ok, will do.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
From: "Robert P. J. Day" on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Daniel Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 20:57, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday(a)crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  i'm not sure that addresses my post -- it doesn't make grammatical
> > sense to state that something is unavailable "since" something that is
> > yet to be officially released.
>
> In most cases, you'd be absolutely correct.... but PHP is a
> developer-focused open source project, so some folks in the community
> do use PHP 6. If you'd like to be one of them, we'd certainly welcome
> the extra help in finding and reporting bugs! You can always download
> the latest snapshot builds at:
>
> http://snaps.php.net/

surely there's a svn checkout for the ongoing php 6, yes?