From: "Robert P. J. Day" on

i don't see a separate mailing list for documentation so is this
where i would point at oddities in the manual? as in, here:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php

we read:

"// Unavailable since PHP 6."

that just looks weird, no?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday
From: Shawn McKenzie on
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i don't see a separate mailing list for documentation so is this
> where i would point at oddities in the manual? as in, here:
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php
>
> we read:
>
> "// Unavailable since PHP 6."
>
> that just looks weird, no?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

$HTTP_POST_VARS was the way to access post vars in PHP before 4.1. Since
then it is $_POST, and $HTTP_POST_VARS is only available if you set
register_long_arrays = On in php.ini. As of PHP 6 $HTTP_POST_VARS will
not be available, you must use $_POST.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn
From: "Robert P. J. Day" on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Shawn McKenzie wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i don't see a separate mailing list for documentation so is this
> > where i would point at oddities in the manual? as in, here:
> >
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php
> >
> > we read:
> >
> > "// Unavailable since PHP 6."
> >
> > that just looks weird, no?
> >
> > rday
>
> $HTTP_POST_VARS was the way to access post vars in PHP before 4.1.
> Since then it is $_POST, and $HTTP_POST_VARS is only available if
> you set register_long_arrays = On in php.ini. As of PHP 6
> $HTTP_POST_VARS will not be available, you must use $_POST.

i'm not sure that addresses my post -- it doesn't make grammatical
sense to state that something is unavailable "since" something that is
yet to be officially released.

From: Daniel Brown on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 16:59, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday(a)crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  i don't see a separate mailing list for documentation so is this
> where i would point at oddities in the manual?  as in, here:
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.external.php
>
> we read:
>
> "// Unavailable since PHP 6."
>
> that just looks weird, no?

Indeed. It would probably be better to read, "Unavailable as of
PHP 6." I'll patch that in the XML sources now, and the next time the
manual rebuilds, the changes will take effect.

For the future, please report such things as Documentation
Problems at http://bugs.php.net/.

Thanks for the report, Rob!

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown(a)parasane.net || danbrown(a)php.net
From: Daniel Brown on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 20:57, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday(a)crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>  i'm not sure that addresses my post -- it doesn't make grammatical
> sense to state that something is unavailable "since" something that is
> yet to be officially released.

In most cases, you'd be absolutely correct.... but PHP is a
developer-focused open source project, so some folks in the community
do use PHP 6. If you'd like to be one of them, we'd certainly welcome
the extra help in finding and reporting bugs! You can always download
the latest snapshot builds at:

http://snaps.php.net/