From: Ruby on
Hi SAS experts,

I am trying to read a large raw data file into SAS. The raw data is
sent by txt file and comma delimited. I could not find anything wrong
with the data if you open it with UltraEdit or word software. However,
you will see a extra blank between each number or character after you
read them into SAS.
for example: "9 9 2 6 0 0 0" or "C H R I S T I N A"

Does anybody know what happened here and give me some clue to fix the
problem?

Thanks very much!

From: Ya on
On Jun 23, 9:07 am, Ruby <windof...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi SAS experts,
>
> I am trying to read a large raw data file into SAS. The raw data is
> sent by txt file and comma delimited. I could not find anything wrong
> with the data if you open it with UltraEdit or word software. However,
> you will see a extra blank between each number or character after you
> read them into SAS.
> for example:  "9 9 2 6 0 0 0"  or   "C H R I S T I N A"
>
> Does anybody know what happened here and give me some clue to fix the
> problem?
>
> Thanks very much!

How about post your code and small piece of your data?
From: Arthur Tabachneck on
I agree with Ya that seeing your code and a small snippet of the
actual data will increase the likelihood of finding a solution.

However, that said, one possibility is that the following filename
option might correct the problem:

encoding=unicode

HTH,
Art
-----------

From: Patrick on
Best would be to use a Hex editor to look into the text file. This
would show you what's really in there.

Try and open the text file with Notepad and - may be - you will see
"squares" between the visible characters. That would be a sign for
whitespace characters.

What you could try is something like;

data want;
infile...
input @;
_infile_=compress(_infile_,,<look up the letter for whitespace
characters in the docu>);
input .... <your variables>;

HTH
Patrick
From: Ruby on
Yes, "encoding=unicode" works for me and thank you all very much!