From: Andy Botterill on
Using FC11 on studio 1555 laptop. I recently did a software update and
now all wifi behaviour has stopped. The network manager does not display
any local networks. How do I turn this on? The dmesg shows that 802.11
has been configured. I don't want to connect to any local networks (they
aren't mine) just to get my system to recognise them. Thanks in advance Andy
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:43:12 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:

> Using FC11 on studio 1555 laptop. I recently did a software update and
> now all wifi behaviour has stopped. The network manager does not display
> any local networks. How do I turn this on? The dmesg shows that 802.11
> has been configured. I don't want to connect to any local networks (they
> aren't mine) just to get my system to recognise them. Thanks in advance
> Andy

Try installing FC12 - and see if things work better than this. If this
doesn't work try Studio 64, if your proc. isn't 64 bit then there is a 32
bit version.

--
neil
Reverse 'r' + 'a' and remove 'l'.
From: Andy Botterill on
On 04/03/2010 04:34 PM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:43:12 +0100, Andy Botterill wrote:
>
>> Using FC11 on studio 1555 laptop. I recently did a software update and
>> now all wifi behaviour has stopped. The network manager does not display
>> any local networks. How do I turn this on? The dmesg shows that 802.11
>> has been configured. I don't want to connect to any local networks (they
>> aren't mine) just to get my system to recognise them. Thanks in advance
>> Andy
>
> Try installing FC12 - and see if things work better than this. If this
> doesn't work try Studio 64, if your proc. isn't 64 bit then there is a 32
> bit version.

Hmm installing FC12 just for no wifi seems a bit excessive. I managed to
fix it by doing
ifconfig wlan0 down
and then
ifconfig wlan0 up
Is losing wifi like this normal or do I have another issue lurking? It's
working so far so good. Thanks Andy.