From: RnR on
I'm hunting around for answers but meanwhile does anyone know if a
9.5mm drive will fit inside the dell 1564 laptop? One source seem to
indicate this is thicker (greater height) than the standard laptop
drive. I'm also trying to find out what is the std height on a laptop
drive of recent vintage.
From: RnR on
In article <MPG.26bb28b71e0f0eda989694(a)news.giganews.com>,
rnrtexas(a)gmail.com says...

> I'm hunting around for answers but meanwhile does anyone know if a
> 9.5mm drive will fit inside the dell 1564 laptop? One source seem to
> indicate this is thicker (greater height) than the standard laptop
> drive. I'm also trying to find out what is the std height on a laptop
> drive of recent vintage.

Ok, never mind. I got the answer... 9.5mm is std while the 12.5mm
(some 1TB drives) are not.

Let me revise the question....

Does anyone know if the 12.5mm drive fits inside the dell 1564 laptop?
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

It *should*...the common sizes used to be 12, 15 and 17mm by my
recollection. Drives have gotten smaller in size.

You might be able to measure your current drive and see what its size is.
Most modern laptops won't accept the 17mm drives, everything else is usually
OK.

William

From: BillW50 on
On 7/31/2010 4:57 PM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It *should*...the common sizes used to be 12, 15 and 17mm by my
> recollection. Drives have gotten smaller in size.
>
> You might be able to measure your current drive and see what its size is.
> Most modern laptops won't accept the 17mm drives, everything else is usually
> OK.

Oh odd! I have found any 9.5mm should be fine. And anything larger
probably won't fit. Even in many USB enclosures as well.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2