From: Ant on
"Leythos" wrote:

>not(a)home.today says...
>> I think that just about covers the current range of possibilities for
>> browsers. Other than that, the user would have to deliberately run an
>> executable.
>
> Yep, but as I mentioned, I didn't click on anything, it was a browser
> redirect and nothing was downloaded/clicked.

However, executables were downloaded (or injected into memory) and
run, albeit automatically by the browser, thereby indicating a
problem with that software. At least, one presumes that was the case
and there wasn't some vulnerable MS service accepting malicious
requests on, say port 445 coincidentally at the same time.

From: George Orwell on

ASSKEY gobfarted:

> OK, so at this point it's just a bunch of woulda shoulda coulda, but sure
> illustrates the reason some so called 'experts' become long term denizens
> of this forum for the cyber-incompetent.

Looked in a mirror lately, dipshit?

https://www.mixmaster.it

From: Leythos on
In article <ZNWdnXmXX4pwyYnWnZ2dnUVZ8lkAAAAA(a)brightview.co.uk>,
not(a)home.today says...

> "Leythos" wrote:
>
> >not(a)home.today says...
> >> I think that just about covers the current range of possibilities for
> >> browsers. Other than that, the user would have to deliberately run an
> >> executable.
> >
> > Yep, but as I mentioned, I didn't click on anything, it was a browser
> > redirect and nothing was downloaded/clicked.
>
> However, executables were downloaded (or injected into memory) and
> run, albeit automatically by the browser, thereby indicating a
> problem with that software. At least, one presumes that was the case
> and there wasn't some vulnerable MS service accepting malicious
> requests on, say port 445 coincidentally at the same time.

There is no port 445 access on that network, only FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS
on that network.

Trust yourself.
From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:4b14cda2.638265(a)EBCDIC...
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>>The fact is that the
>>browser itself acts as a window for other programs that also consume
>>data from a webpage, so even if the browser itself isn't attacked (or
>>abused in the case of scripting or media extensions) it still
>>participates in the attack vector.
>
> Only participates to the degree allowed by one's config.

Indeed! That's the problem.

>>Even security programs
>>(parsing the HTML prior to the browser getting it)
>>could conceivably be attacked if they mishandle the data.
>
> AFAIK the browser is the first app that sees anything online,
> after the innate windows firewall.

Remember "Proxomitron"? I'm thinking that some of these browse-safe
"security" programs work similarly.

> Is there anything that can overwhelm a simple allow/ignore IDS?

Overwhelm? No. Circumvent? Probably. It lies in what is allowed to be
consumed by what.

From: Ant on
"Art" wrote:

> Murphy sez:
>
> Updating to the latest and greatest wil add new and currently unknown
> vulnerabilities.

The more complex systems become, the more bugs they have and the more
opportunities there are for exploits. That's why my browser is wget on
Windows 2000! Well, not all the time but a lot of malware will now
only run on later versions of XP and above. Some of it requires recent
versions of the VC++ runtime libraries, newer API functions in the
core OS and some uses dot-NET. I don't have that stuff on my internet-
connected PC.

My system wouldn't suit a modern-day web user; it's too minimalist and
doesn't have the latest gizmos. Apps I use most are a command prompt
and a text editor!