From: Dustin Cook on
ASCII <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:4b1608d8.1655765(a)EBCDIC:

> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>"tommy" <tommylee9_2000(a)removeyahoo.dropcom> wrote in message

>>> So scripts aren't the only way to infect somebody's pc from a
>>> website. Got any cool links for that type of thing?
>>
>>http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_
>>web_based_attacks_03-2009.en-us.pdf
>>

> That link merely describes the theoretical nature of browsing dangers.
> affecting grossly under-protected systems or extremely careless users.
> I wonder if there's any real danger out there to a hardened system?
> I'm still waiting on someone to put up a link that my system can't
> handle.

It would be at the least, irresponsible for anybody in antimalware to place
any link that could harm your computer intentionally. Some things, you will
have to locate on your own; if thats really your wish.

--
Dustin Cook [Malware Researcher]
MalwareBytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org
From: FromTheRafters on
"ASCII" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>"ASCII" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message

>>Still, your computer consumes data, and that data can be maliciously
>>crafted.
>
> Maybe a better or more accurately defined 'consumption' would be in
> order.

Data destined by the consumer program's design to be translated and
interpreted as program code (a browser extension that runs scripts for
example), is the most obvious consumption. Such code can do something
undesired by using or abusing functions. Data destined by design to be
consumed as data only can influence program flow in undesired ways as
well, especially if there are flaws in the consuming program that allows
the data to be interpreted as code. Even if the data isn't interpreted
as code, it can be used by the consuming program as input (for address
arithmetic for example) which can result in DoS conditions like hanging
or crashing the program or the OS by memory corruption.

Data crafted as a simple DoS attack, while unsophisticated, would still
be exploit based malware.

> Just utilizing such data doesn't necessarily have to be destructive
> regardless
> of how it's crafted.

No, it doesn't have to be. The thing is that data coming in often gets
consumed by more than just the program that the user thinks is consuming
it. There are often many opportunities to mishandle data.

From: FromTheRafters on

> FromTheRafters wrote:
>>
>>Sites that host exploit based malware could have a detrimental effect
>>on
>>a system where the user thinks he can go anywhere and click on
>>anything
>>because he uses a "secure" browser. Exploits such as the one discussed
>>here http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2009/Jul/91 could still ruin your
>>day.
>
> Ruin whose day?

Someone as described above.

> Went and checked,
> yep,
> sure enough,
> they're talking about MSIE.

They mention that IE often uses that dll. It is a system file that other
applications than IE can also use. The browser is providing a path
(vector) to the vulnerability - but is not insecure (in this context) in
and of itself. I'm just saying that it is not always obvious what takes
place when clicking a link. Bad things can happen even if the browser
itself is secure.

> Now, kindly show me the way to an actual threat to
> a 'secure' browser. I'm not saying none exist,
> just would like to know the limits to my system
> so I can tweak my config if needed.

I don't know of any off hand, I'm only saying that they can (and
probably do) exist.