From: caglaror on
Hi,
When i used window.opener to access the opener from the popup window
this problem (object required) has occured. I used to use this
technique in my web applications without any problem. Is there a
security issue for window.opener in HTA environment.
Or a syntax difference?
Thanks.
Caglar

From: Nic Roche on
> Is there a
> security issue for window.opener in HTA environment.

<snip src="MSDN">
....an unsafe frame or iframe receives neither a referrer nor an opener URL
from the parent HTA. This means frame or iframe is not affected by the
parent window of the containing HTA.
</snip>

Nic Roche

From: "Michael Harris (MVP)" <mikhar at mvps dot on
>> Is there a
>> security issue for window.opener in HTA environment.
>
> <snip src="MSDN">
> ...an unsafe frame or iframe receives neither a referrer nor an
> opener URL from the parent HTA. This means frame or iframe is not
> affected by the parent window of the containing HTA.
> </snip>

And any window opened from an HTA via window.open falls into that same
category...

A option for the OP is to use showModal/ModelessDialog windows, but with
caution. Dialog windows are trusted by default from an HTA and have the
same level of local machine access as the parent HTA, so it would be unwise
to cross domains, especially to external internet domains.

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

From: caglaror on
Michael at this point how can we control variables form the opened
child window ?
what is the alternative of window.opener in HTA?

From: "Michael Harris (MVP)" <mikhar at mvps dot on
caglaror wrote:
> Michael at this point how can we control variables form the opened
> child window ?

Meaning what, exactly?

> what is the alternative of window.opener in HTA?

window.showModalDialog or window.showModelessDialog

With either you can pass an argument to the opened page. That arguement can
be anything, even a reference to the window or document object of the
opener. In the modal/modeless dialog, the passed argument is exposed via
window.dialogArguments.

P.S. - This is all in the documentation...

showModalDialog Method (window) (Internet Explorer - DHTML)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodaldialog.asp

showModelessDialog Method (window) (Internet Explorer - DHTML)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp