From: David Fairbrother on
okay, here's the scenario :)
I have three PC's, each hooked up to a router.
two of them are running Windows XP. one is called DAVID, the other DIANAM.
the problem lies with the "server" - an HP from 1999 that i'm trying to
network with the rest. (it's just a junk PC that can act as a server for
its HDD/internet) It runs Windows 98 SE.

the workgroup is set to "MSHOME".

I am unable to access the Internet via the Windows 98 SE PC. I can from
the original two - just not this one. Everytime i attempt to load/do a
windows "proxy scan" when it tries to autodetect the settings, Internet
Explorer either crashes or displays the generic "Cannot find server" error.

From the ipconfig off the DAVID machine, this is what its displaying.
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

on the 98SE..
IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0

im certain its meant to be the same default gateway - but it just doesnt
set.

additionally, the 98SE system is able to access the files on its own HDD
(via Network Neighbourhood, that is) and the files on the DAVID machine.
this is how i know the network (at least partially) works.

anyone have any ideas as to how i set this up to happily access the
net/share files? im out of ideas.

any help appreciated :)

From: David Fairbrother on
Noel Paton wrote:
> "David Fairbrother" <simmastacopter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>okay, here's the scenario :)
>>I have three PC's, each hooked up to a router.
>>two of them are running Windows XP. one is called DAVID, the other DIANAM.
>>the problem lies with the "server" - an HP from 1999 that i'm trying to
>>network with the rest. (it's just a junk PC that can act as a server for
>>its HDD/internet) It runs Windows 98 SE.
>>
>>the workgroup is set to "MSHOME".
>>
>>I am unable to access the Internet via the Windows 98 SE PC. I can from
>>the original two - just not this one. Everytime i attempt to load/do a
>>windows "proxy scan" when it tries to autodetect the settings, Internet
>>Explorer either crashes or displays the generic "Cannot find server"
>>error.
>>
>>From the ipconfig off the DAVID machine, this is what its displaying.
>>IP Address: 192.168.1.101
>>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>>
>>on the 98SE..
>>IP Address: 192.168.1.102
>>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0
>>
>>im certain its meant to be the same default gateway - but it just doesnt
>>set.
>>
>>additionally, the 98SE system is able to access the files on its own HDD
>>(via Network Neighbourhood, that is) and the files on the DAVID machine.
>>this is how i know the network (at least partially) works.
>>
>>anyone have any ideas as to how i set this up to happily access the
>>net/share files? im out of ideas.
>>
>>any help appreciated :)
>>

> Simplest answer is to manually set the Win98 box to the same settings as the
> others (apart from the IP, of course - I'd use 192.168.1.200 if the router
> will allow it, to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the other
> boxes) - you can do this from Network Properties.
>
> If this box has been infested with malware at some point in the past, it's
> possible that the Winsock stack got messed up in the process of removal - in
> which case run the LSPFix from here http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

thanks for the response :)
the installed Gateways has just one - 192.168.1.1
this is the same gateway as the others. ipconfig still reports that the
default gateway is 255.255.255.0 (as well as the Subnet Mask) on the
98 box.
the LSPFix didnt appear to have any malicious entries.
thanks :)
From: David Fairbrother on
David Fairbrother wrote:
> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> "David Fairbrother" <simmastacopter(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> okay, here's the scenario :)
>>> I have three PC's, each hooked up to a router.
>>> two of them are running Windows XP. one is called DAVID, the other
>>> DIANAM.
>>> the problem lies with the "server" - an HP from 1999 that i'm trying
>>> to network with the rest. (it's just a junk PC that can act as a
>>> server for its HDD/internet) It runs Windows 98 SE.
>>>
>>> the workgroup is set to "MSHOME".
>>>
>>> I am unable to access the Internet via the Windows 98 SE PC. I can
>>> from the original two - just not this one. Everytime i attempt to
>>> load/do a windows "proxy scan" when it tries to autodetect the
>>> settings, Internet Explorer either crashes or displays the generic
>>> "Cannot find server" error.
>>>
>>> From the ipconfig off the DAVID machine, this is what its displaying.
>>> IP Address: 192.168.1.101
>>> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>> Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>>>
>>> on the 98SE..
>>> IP Address: 192.168.1.102
>>> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>> Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0
>>>
>>> im certain its meant to be the same default gateway - but it just
>>> doesnt set.
>>>
>>> additionally, the 98SE system is able to access the files on its own
>>> HDD (via Network Neighbourhood, that is) and the files on the DAVID
>>> machine. this is how i know the network (at least partially) works.
>>>
>>> anyone have any ideas as to how i set this up to happily access the
>>> net/share files? im out of ideas.
>>>
>>> any help appreciated :)
>>>

>> Simplest answer is to manually set the Win98 box to the same settings
>> as the others (apart from the IP, of course - I'd use 192.168.1.200 if
>> the router will allow it, to make sure that it doesn't interfere with
>> the other boxes) - you can do this from Network Properties.
>>
>> If this box has been infested with malware at some point in the past,
>> it's possible that the Winsock stack got messed up in the process of
>> removal - in which case run the LSPFix from here
>> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
>>

> thanks for the response :)
> the installed Gateways has just one - 192.168.1.1
> this is the same gateway as the others. ipconfig still reports that the
> default gateway is 255.255.255.0 (as well as the Subnet Mask) on the 98
> box.
> the LSPFix didnt appear to have any malicious entries.
> thanks :)
ok, well i managed to change the default gateway. it's still crashing on
*really* thinking of switching over to a Linux LiveCD and seeing if it's
able to access the net via that. if it can, i'll dual boot them. i've
had enough of Microsoft.
From: RMD on
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:49:48 GMT, David Fairbrother
<simmastacopter(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>okay, here's the scenario :)
>I have three PC's, each hooked up to a router.
>two of them are running Windows XP. one is called DAVID, the other DIANAM.
>the problem lies with the "server" - an HP from 1999 that i'm trying to
>network with the rest. (it's just a junk PC that can act as a server for
>its HDD/internet) It runs Windows 98 SE.
>
>the workgroup is set to "MSHOME".
>
>I am unable to access the Internet via the Windows 98 SE PC. I can from
>the original two - just not this one. Everytime i attempt to load/do a
>windows "proxy scan" when it tries to autodetect the settings, Internet
>Explorer either crashes or displays the generic "Cannot find server" error.
>
> From the ipconfig off the DAVID machine, this is what its displaying.
>IP Address: 192.168.1.101
>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>
>on the 98SE..
>IP Address: 192.168.1.102
>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0
>
>im certain its meant to be the same default gateway - but it just doesnt
>set.
>
>additionally, the 98SE system is able to access the files on its own HDD
>(via Network Neighbourhood, that is) and the files on the DAVID machine.
>this is how i know the network (at least partially) works.
>
>anyone have any ideas as to how i set this up to happily access the
>net/share files? im out of ideas.
>
>any help appreciated :)
>

>--
Sometimes going to your NIC settings and unticking them and
re-ticking them to make 98SE reload all the NIC settings can resolve
some 98SE networking problems.

Worth a try anyway and won't do any harm.

Go to Start/Settings/Network and get properties for NETBUI, TSC/IP
etc, and start unticking/reticking them. (The computer will reboot as
part of this process.)

Ross
(To get email address ROT 13)
ebff_qnyl(a)lnubb.pbz
From: David Fairbrother on
RMD wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:49:48 GMT, David Fairbrother
> <simmastacopter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>okay, here's the scenario :)
>>I have three PC's, each hooked up to a router.
>>two of them are running Windows XP. one is called DAVID, the other DIANAM.
>>the problem lies with the "server" - an HP from 1999 that i'm trying to
>>network with the rest. (it's just a junk PC that can act as a server for
>>its HDD/internet) It runs Windows 98 SE.
>>
>>the workgroup is set to "MSHOME".
>>
>>I am unable to access the Internet via the Windows 98 SE PC. I can from
>>the original two - just not this one. Everytime i attempt to load/do a
>>windows "proxy scan" when it tries to autodetect the settings, Internet
>>Explorer either crashes or displays the generic "Cannot find server" error.
>>
>>From the ipconfig off the DAVID machine, this is what its displaying.
>>IP Address: 192.168.1.101
>>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
>>
>>on the 98SE..
>>IP Address: 192.168.1.102
>>Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
>>Default Gateway: 255.255.255.0
>>
>>im certain its meant to be the same default gateway - but it just doesnt
>>set.
>>
>>additionally, the 98SE system is able to access the files on its own HDD
>>(via Network Neighbourhood, that is) and the files on the DAVID machine.
>>this is how i know the network (at least partially) works.
>>
>>anyone have any ideas as to how i set this up to happily access the
>>net/share files? im out of ideas.
>>
>>any help appreciated :)
>>

>>--
>
> Sometimes going to your NIC settings and unticking them and
> re-ticking them to make 98SE reload all the NIC settings can resolve
> some 98SE networking problems.
>
> Worth a try anyway and won't do any harm.
>
> Go to Start/Settings/Network and get properties for NETBUI, TSC/IP
> etc, and start unticking/reticking them. (The computer will reboot as
> part of this process.)
>
> Ross
> (To get email address ROT 13)
> ebff_qnyl(a)lnubb.pbz
you pwn.
that got the filesharing between the DAVID -> server going again.
only thing left is internet. i'm going to have a play with that. many
thanks to both :)
oh - if you have any ideas as to the internet, go ahead reply ;x - 98
never was my favourite OS.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: error VKD