From: jhewitt on
I have an 'old' PC, 800Mhz Celeron processor and 20 Gbyte HD.
The Bios is AMI 1.19 and the OS is W98

I use the PC for BT downloads and the small HD is a problem. I bought
a Hitachi 80 Gbyte HD and attempted to use it in this PC.

But, the BIOS won't recognize/find the new HD. When I try AUTO locate,
the BIOS locks up and I have to re-boot. Tried Primary and Secondary
IDE's, Mater and Slave. Swapped the position on the ribbon connectors.
Nothing works.

I "suspect" that I may have to flash the BIOS [ shudder ] to a later
version, I don't feel happy with that, and "Desperately" Seek help and
any alternatives.

Can anyone provide assistance, please

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
From: Gonzo on

<jhewitt(a)arrakis.es> wrote in message
> I have an 'old' PC, 800Mhz Celeron processor and 20 Gbyte HD.
> The Bios is AMI 1.19 and the OS is W98
>
> I use the PC for BT downloads and the small HD is a problem. I bought
> a Hitachi 80 Gbyte HD and attempted to use it in this PC.
>
> But, the BIOS won't recognize/find the new HD. When I try AUTO locate,
> the BIOS locks up and I have to re-boot. Tried Primary and Secondary
> IDE's, Mater and Slave. Swapped the position on the ribbon connectors.
> Nothing works.
>
> I "suspect" that I may have to flash the BIOS [ shudder ] to a later
> version, I don't feel happy with that, and "Desperately" Seek help and
> any alternatives.
>
> Can anyone provide assistance, please
>
> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

An IDE controller card might be the best option. You will also
need an updated fdisk to to properly partition the drive
see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044

From: jhewitt on
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:33:24 -0000, "Gonzo" <nobody(a)nobody.here.net>
wrote:

><jhewitt(a)arrakis.es> wrote in message
>> I have an 'old' PC, 800Mhz Celeron processor and 20 Gbyte HD.
>> The Bios is AMI 1.19 and the OS is W98
>>
>> I use the PC for BT downloads and the small HD is a problem. I bought
>> a Hitachi 80 Gbyte HD and attempted to use it in this PC.
>>
>> But, the BIOS won't recognize/find the new HD. When I try AUTO locate,
>> the BIOS locks up and I have to re-boot. Tried Primary and Secondary
>> IDE's, Mater and Slave. Swapped the position on the ribbon connectors.
>> Nothing works.
>>
>> I "suspect" that I may have to flash the BIOS [ shudder ] to a later
>> version, I don't feel happy with that, and "Desperately" Seek help and
>> any alternatives.
>>
>> Can anyone provide assistance, please
>>
>> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
>
>An IDE controller card might be the best option. You will also
>need an updated fdisk to to properly partition the drive
>see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044

A new controller card [ that is a later model ] will permit the BIOS
to 'see' the new HD, and the BIOS will then 'install' it?

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
From: jhewitt on
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:36:21 +0000 (UTC), "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless(a)crashfixpc.com> wrote:

><jhewitt(a)arrakis.es> wrote in message
>>I have an 'old' PC, 800Mhz Celeron processor and 20 Gbyte HD.
>> The Bios is AMI 1.19 and the OS is W98
>>
>> I use the PC for BT downloads and the small HD is a problem. I bought
>> a Hitachi 80 Gbyte HD and attempted to use it in this PC.
>>
>> But, the BIOS won't recognize/find the new HD. When I try AUTO locate,
>> the BIOS locks up and I have to re-boot. Tried Primary and Secondary
>> IDE's, Mater and Slave. Swapped the position on the ribbon connectors.
>> Nothing works.
>>
>> I "suspect" that I may have to flash the BIOS [ shudder ] to a later
>> version, I don't feel happy with that, and "Desperately" Seek help and
>> any alternatives.
>>
>> Can anyone provide assistance, please
>>

>What is the new HD?

A Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 Model Number HDS728080PLAT20

>- some have a setting to limit the HD to 32GB capacity

I do not want to do that, I want to use the full 80 GB

>(which your BIOS may be able to ake advantage of), and most have Drive
>Overlay programs which can obviate the need for a BIOS update

You mean Hitachi may have a drive overlay program. Should I look for
that, 'literally', on their web site?

> (even if such is available for your motherboard)

AMI want nothing to do with the MB, since it's made by PcChips [ a
model PC100 ]. PcChips site is kinda vague about the BIOS. I'd rather
not mess with that.

Thanks for the reply.

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
From: jhewitt on
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:24:04 +0000 (UTC), "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless(a)crashfixpc.com> wrote:

><jhewitt(a)arrakis.es> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:36:21 +0000 (UTC), "Noel Paton"
>> <NoelDPspamless(a)crashfixpc.com> wrote:
>>

>>><jhewitt(a)arrakis.es> wrote in message

>>>What is the new HD?
>>
>> A Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 Model Number HDS728080PLAT20
>>
>>>- some have a setting to limit the HD to 32GB capacity
>>
>> I do not want to do that, I want to use the full 80 GB
>>
>>>(which your BIOS may be able to ake advantage of), and most have Drive
>>>Overlay programs which can obviate the need for a BIOS update
>>
>> You mean Hitachi may have a drive overlay program. Should I look for
>> that, 'literally', on their web site?
>>
>>> (even if such is available for your motherboard)
>>
>> AMI want nothing to do with the MB, since it's made by PcChips [ a
>> model PC100 ]. PcChips site is kinda vague about the BIOS. I'd rather
>> not mess with that.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>

>It seems that Hitachi no longer use Ontrack Disk Manager (their former Drive
>overlay program) - and don't distribute it, either (although the program is
>available from Ontrack for a huge price!).

Hmm. I installed the latest version of that program and ran it on the
'old' PC. It started out 'lookin good', but at the point where it was
to install the DD Overlay, the system locked up. Tried it three times,
same result each time.

>Instead, they use a "Feature Tool" - which looks as if it may do the same
>job in a slightly different way
>http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#Installation
>(please note - I have never used this program, so can't comment on it's
>effectiveness!)

Doesn't seem to help much. I ran the program from DOS boot on the old
PC [ which is in accord with the instructions that come with the
program ], it functions, but seems solely to identify the drives
installed [ it 'found' the new Hitachi drive ], and gives some options
re SMART and drive temp readings. It does nothing as an overlay of the
BIOS, or assist to it.

>What is the exact model number of your motherboard? - if you're not sure,
>try downloading and running AIDA32 from here
>http://www.aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#aida32
>and see if that pinpoints it - post the result, and I'll see what I can
>find.

Belarc Advisor suggests that the following is installed...
BIOS: American Megatrends 062702 07/15/95

>AMI don't provide BIOS updates to end-users - and never have, that I can
>recall - they provide them to the motherboard manufacturers, who are
>supposed to distribute them as required, after optimising them for their
>configurations. There are one or two companies who act as intermediaries
>between the BIOS manufacturers and end-users, but I have no experience in
>their use, and would tend to steer clear.

So, based on the above results, and yr comments re IDE Controller
Cards, it seems that's the next thing to try. I haven't priced the new
controller cards, if they are high I may just give up [ give in? ].

Thanks for the help thus far, any further comments much appreciated.

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain