From: Gabriel Knight on
Hi all

Im going to reinstall windows xp on a pc that already has windows xp on it I
dont have the key for it or sticker is there a program or setting that will
tell me the current key on the pc? if so what is its name and if possable is
there a free version of it for me?

Thanks all
GK

From: Gabriel Knight on
Sorry all I used google and found 13 to try

GK

From: John Doe on
"Gabriel Knight" <fakeemail(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry all I used google and found 13 to try

Right, the product key is somewhere in the registry.

Also... If activation is very problematic (as it is when making
and using backup copies of Windows), if you look hard enough you
can find a workaround for activation.
From: GlowingBlueMist on
Gabriel Knight wrote:
> Sorry all I used google and found 13 to try
>
> GK
>

> "Gabriel Knight" <fakeemail(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> Im going to reinstall windows xp on a pc that already has windows xp
>> on it I dont have the key for it or sticker is there a program or
>> setting that will tell me the current key on the pc? if so what is
>> its name and if possable is there a free version of it for me?
>>
>> Thanks all
>> GK

Just remember that the key you find in the registry using a program like
"siw.exe" (freeware) is tied to the "version" of windows that was used to
install it.

An example is a OEM version, of the Windows key found in a registry,
normally can not be used to register a new install of a retail version of
Windows. Other combinations do not usually work as well, like the existing
version was Windows Home Edition and the new CD is Windows Pro Edition and
so on.

From: GlowingBlueMist on