From: specialk on
Heres the story. I have a refurnished gateway(xp pro) that was running good.
- I went to the windows update site and downloaded alot of the updates.
Afterwords. i downloaded a few optional software and hardware updates. This
somehow caused the display setting to stay on 640x480 pixels-4 bit (color
quality). The optional updates were for the monitor and video card.
-Next, i ran dban to wipe the harddrive clean and reinstall with a dell
reinstall disc. The display setting is still stuck on 640x480 pixels-4 bit.
After the reinstall, its not connecting to the net; through my broadband
How do i reload the video setting? Nothing i've done has worked.
When reformatting, do i need to disconnect the ethernet cable?
From: GTS on
You need to download the proper drivers from your computer manufacturer -
video, Ethernet, etc. If you can't access the Internet with this computer,
you will have to do it from another computer and save the drivers to a thumb
drive or CD.
In the future, you should never download device drivers through Windows
update. There are often dated, and sometimes wrong altogether.

From: Carmel on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 11:22:01 -0800
specialk specialk <specialk(a)discussions.microsoft.com> articulated:

> Heres the story. I have a refurnished gateway(xp pro) that was
> running good.
> - I went to the windows update site and downloaded alot of the
> updates. Afterwords. i downloaded a few optional software and
> hardware updates. This somehow caused the display setting to stay on
> 640x480 pixels-4 bit (color quality). The optional updates were for
> the monitor and video card. -Next, i ran dban to wipe the harddrive
> clean and reinstall with a dell reinstall disc. The display setting
> is still stuck on 640x480 pixels-4 bit. After the reinstall, its not
> connecting to the net; through my broadband How do i reload the video
> setting? Nothing i've done has worked. When reformatting, do i need
> to disconnect the ethernet cable?

Was it a nVidea driver? I have seen that problem several times. Go
into Control Panel. Find the 'driver' tab for the device in question. I
think the tab you are looking for is 'driver rollback' or something
like that. I am not near a Windows machine presently. Just click that
tab and Windows will reinstall the old driver. You will have to reboot
to get the new driver to work correctly in most cases.

Now, do NOT depend on Windows to detect your card correctly. If you
have the OEM specs, use that. If not, and you feel comfortable doing it,
open the case and remove the card. I am assuming it is not an
'on-board' chip. Get the info off the card. chip info, etc. Replace the
card and go to the manufactures site to get updated drivers. If it is
an 'on-board' chip, either the computer manufacturer, or the 'chip'
manufacturer should have a utility to discover what 'video chip' is
installed or a web page that lists the details of the PC.

By the way, I have experience with Gateway. Their mail forum might be
of use if all all fails.

--
Carmel |::::=======
|===========
|===========

From: specialk on
Yea, i have a backup computer to get the missing drivers. My other computer
is sorta messed up as well.
- It doesn't give the option to roll back the video driver, i assume 'cause
i reformatted the hard drive.
- The video card is "on board"
From: specialk on
I've fixed the problem.
MPC bought out the bussiness side of gateway computers. Sadly mpc filed for
chapter 11 (04-09) but a website had the drivers.