From: Oliver Lupton on
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 16:43:01 +0800
"Paolo Alexis Falcone" <pfalcone(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Other than that, you could use cards that use the Ralink RT2500
> chipset (e.g. MSI CB54G2, ASUS wifi cards, etc). The good thing about
> these is that these don't require any firmware. You just download the
> GPL'd rt2500 drivers.

FWIW you can order a Belkin card which *does* have this chipset from http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/ the one I ordered has just come for my new (gentoo, yeah I'm a traitor) pc, it appears to have the rt2500 chipset as advertised.

HTH

-ol

--
I will live forever, or die trying.
From: Dave Thayer on
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:29:15PM +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> well, i found all cards that should have rt2500 'onboard' - it might be
> of some use for others - go to the following link...
> http://ralink.rapla.net/
>
> i'll probably gor for asus wl107g...

FWIW, I've been using the RT2500 based Zonet ZEW1501 with good results.

Newegg has them for $19.50.

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to

Am 2006-02-23 09:31:19, schrieb Lubos Vrbka:

> obviously, there aren't too many possibilities (2.6.15 kernel):
> Cisco/Aironet 34X/35X/4500/4800 PCMCIA cards (AIRO_CS)
> they seems to support only b/
> Planet WL3501 PCMCIA cards (PCMCIA_WL3501)
> Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo PCI/Cardbus (PRISM54)
> several cards have this chip inside

The ORINOCO are missing.

> which one of these three would you recommend? or maybe going with
> ndiswrapper would be an easier way...

I recommend only Cards witt Prism or Atheros Chipset and such from
Agere, Orinoco or Proxim. From latest I have the Combo-Card a/b/g
which is quiet expensive, but run with "madwifi" and has a
performace like the heaven.

I use it wirh my OutDoor-Router Proxim Tsunami MP.11a in Marrakech
(Morocco) and Strasbourg (France) and I get a range of more then
3 km using a 93cm long OmniWave Antenna.

Greetings
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSM LinuxMichi
0033/3/88452356 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

so after some fiddling, i made the asus wl-107g card to work. the rt2x00
drivers from sourceforge didn't work for me - i was able to compile it
but couldn't make the card talk to the router or obtain the address (it
required SSID broadcast to work at least partially, but not fully - and
our administrator definitely dislikes the idea to use SSID broadcast)...

so i tried to use ndiswrapper and everything works like a charm. maybe,
someday in the future i'll have more time to dig into the problem and
try the gpl'ed driver again.

thanks to all people who replied to my question.

regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"