From: Lubos Vrbka on
hi guys,

i'm planning to buy wifi (b/g) card for my laptop, however i'm not about
the support. my colleague has asus with broadcom bcm4306 chipset in his
windoze notebook. i tried it, kernel recognized the card, but the i
cannot find the respective drivers for linux. according to mr. google it
seems that this has to be solved using ndiswrapper. is it really so?

do you have good experience with ndiswrapper? or would you be willing to
recommend some other pcmcia card / provide pointer to relevant information?

i found something here
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
but most of the cardbus cards have status 'some works' :(

thanks in advance. regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"

Here is what I did to get a netgear to work perfectly with ndiwrapper

NdisWrapper

NdisWrapper will use Native Windows Drivers (.INF) on/under/for/with Linux

I have only done this with the 2.6 kernel, never 2.4.

I also indicate the rev's I used, you may find different revisions.

1 Get the source
ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/1
cd /usr/local/src
mkdir ndis;cd ndsi
download the ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
gunzip ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
tar -xvf ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
make distclean
make
make install
-- OR --
apt-get install ndiswrapper-source # Source for the ndiswrapper linux
kernel module
apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils # Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper
The following is also need to process the windriver.inf file
apt-get install zip # for win zip'd files
apt-get install unzip # for win zip'd files
apt-get install unshield # for win .cab files
Might also need kernel headers (correct for your cpu, etc.)
apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386
Get the Windows Driver you want to use
Download the driver
unzip driver.zip
unshield -d
x cabfile.cab
find the driver.inf to use
ndsiwrapper -i driver.inf
ndsiwrapper -l
should report on sw and hw SO have the h/w hookedup and powered
ndsiwrapper -m
depmod -a
modprobe ndsiwrapper
configure the h/w as needed.
I offer as an example some detail on install/config for a Netgear WG111 V2
Wifi Fob. from the website:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation#Compile_
and_install

I used some combo of the following to get my Netgear 111 to 'see' and
'talk' to the network ...
unzip wg111v2_v1.0.0.5.zip
unshield data2.cab
ndiswrapper -i data2.inf
ndiswrapper -m
depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper
vi /etc/network/interfaces Add the entires for wlan0
these matched the entrie for the cardbus wireless eithernet card I had
already running in the machine.
ifdown wlan0; ifup wlan0
Once I had the fob working, I had to hand create an S99wlan0 file to bring
the fob up. This was set in the rc*.d directory structure.

THE HTML source to this (behind a password or I would give you the URL)

<HEAD>
<TITLE>NdisWrapper</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor="#f5ebcc">
<P align="center"><FONT SIZE="+2"><B>NdisWrapper</B></FONT></P>

<OL>
<LH>NdisWrapper will use Native Windows Drivers (.INF) on/under/for/with
Linux<BR>
I have only done this with the 2.6 kernel, never 2.4. <BR>
I also indicate the rev's I used, you may find different revisions.
</LH>
<LI> Get the source
<OL>
<LI> <A
HREF="http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/">ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net</A><BR>
<A
HREF="http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/">sourceforge.net/projects
/ndiswrapper/</A>
<UL>
<LI> cd /usr/local/src
<LI> mkdir ndis;cd ndsi
<LI> download the ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
<LI> gunzip ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
<LI> tar -xvf ndiswrapper-1.9.tar.gz
<LI> make distclean
<LI> make
<LI> make install
</UL>
</OL>
-- OR --
<OL>
<LI> apt-get install ndiswrapper-source # Source for the ndiswrapper linux
kernel module
<LI> apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils # Userspace utilities for ndiswrapper

</OL>

<LI> The following is also need to <I>process</I> the windriver.inf file
<UL>
<LI> apt-get install zip # for win zip'd files
<LI> apt-get install unzip # for win zip'd files
<LI> apt-get install unshield # for win .cab files
</UL>

<LI> Might also need kernel headers (correct for your cpu, etc.)
<UL>
<LI> apt-get install kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386
</UL>

<LI> Get the Windows Driver you want to use
<OL>
<LI> Download the driver
<LI> unzip driver.zip
<LI> unshield -d <dir for cab contents> x cabfile.cab
<LI> find the driver.inf to use
</OL>
<LI> ndsiwrapper -i driver.inf
<LI> ndsiwrapper -l<BR>
should report on sw and hw SO have the h/w hookedup and powered
<LI> ndsiwrapper -m
<LI> depmod -a
<LI> modprobe ndsiwrapper
<LI> configure the h/w as needed. <BR>
I offer as an example some detail on install/config for a Netgear
WG111 V2 Wifi Fob.
from the website: <A
HREF="http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation#Co
mpile_and_install">NdisWrapper - Install</A>
</OL>

<OL>
<LH>I used some combo of the following to get my Netgear 111 to 'see'
and 'talk' to the network ...</LH>
<LI> unzip wg111v2_v1.0.0.5.zip
<LI> unshield data2.cab
<LI> ndiswrapper -i data2.inf
<LI> ndiswrapper -m
<LI> depmod -a
<LI> modprobe ndiswrapper
<LI> vi /etc/network/interfaces
Add the entires for wlan0<BR>
these matched the entrie for the cardbus wireless eithernet card I had
already running in the machine.
<LI> ifdown wlan0; ifup wlan0
<LI> Once I had the fob working, I had to hand create an S99wlan0 file
to bring the fob up.
This was set in the rc*.d directory structure.
</OL>

</BODY>
</HTML>

RbtBotL
Craig - ><>

o BU SysAdmin
/|\ 607 777 6827
^ Tot Ziens

I am using Netgear 54mpbs pcmcia adapter and working good till now in
my debian sid.

here are the steps.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

Paras.

From: jlmb on
Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> do you have good experience with ndiswrapper? or would you be willing to
> recommend some other pcmcia card / provide pointer to relevant information?
I use ndiswrapper too, what can I say...it gets the job done. I even
have WPA support.

If I was to buy a new wireless pccard, it'll definitely get one with
support under the vanilla kernel...cause I'm lazy :). It's very easy to
install ndiswrapper module by following its wiki but is *super* easy via
module-assistant.

jorge

> I use ndiswrapper too, what can I say...it gets the job done. I even
> have WPA support.
>
> If I was to buy a new wireless pccard, it'll definitely get one with
> support under the vanilla kernel...cause I'm lazy :). It's very easy to
> install ndiswrapper module by following its wiki but is *super* easy via
> module-assistant.
for such cards, ndiswrapper is not needed, i guess... or am i wrong?

regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"