From: eeave1 on
Are you required to have Ultimate to run this in VM 2007 in Windows 7? And is
it slow and complicated?
From: eeave1 on
By WP DOS i'm referring to Wordperfect DOS. I've heard it doesn't run well
in XP mode. What about in VM 2007? When it runs, is it slow, and how easy
is it to get files out of the VM? Thank you...

From: Dave Warren on
In message <76A1B12B-47D1-41B2-A355-53321B5C2601(a)microsoft.com> eeave1
<eeave1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> was claimed to have wrote:

>By WP DOS i'm referring to Wordperfect DOS. I've heard it doesn't run well
>in XP mode. What about in VM 2007? When it runs, is it slow, and how easy
>is it to get files out of the VM? Thank you...

Given all the pain involved, I'm curious, what exactly is the appeal?

Anyway, it does look like VPC 2007 is the way to go, or possibly VMWare.
From: eeave1 on
The appeal is that it's a very fast wordprocessor that allows me to type 130
wpm and produce a lot of pages. Word is designed for people who type 30-60
wpm. I also use Word products, but for work, i need fast production. WP DOS
does that. It also has great macros. Word's don't allow complex macros (at
least i can't get them to work, like zipping between different windows to
grab information and bring them back into your work doc).

I do have more questions: 1) does Virtual PC 2007 work with Home Premium,
2) if you have Home Ultimate, can you have both Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual
PC/XP mode on the same system, and still have VP 2007 work? 3) does shared
files work with Win98? I've heard that that's the best OS for WP DOS, yet I
couldn't get the shared files or CD Rom to work, but that could be because i
was in Home Premium. I could upgrade to Ultimate.

Thank you...

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 06:56:01 -0800, eeave1
<eeave1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The appeal is that it's a very fast wordprocessor that allows me to type 130
>wpm and produce a lot of pages. Word is designed for people who type 30-60
>wpm. I also use Word products, but for work, i need fast production. WP DOS
>does that. It also has great macros. Word's don't allow complex macros (at
>least i can't get them to work, like zipping between different windows to
>grab information and bring them back into your work doc).
>
>I do have more questions: 1) does Virtual PC 2007 work with Home Premium,

yes, as does Windows VPC for Win7

>2) if you have Home Ultimate, can you have both Virtual PC 2007 and Virtual
>PC/XP mode on the same system, and still have VP 2007 work?

no, only one

>3) does shared files work with Win98? I've heard that that's the best OS for WP DOS, yet I couldn't get the shared files or CD Rom to work, but that could be because i was in Home Premium. I could upgrade to Ultimate.

Win98 works in WVPC. The CDROM works, if you want Shared Folders you
will need to use the old VM Additions. (info on my website)
Your Win98 issues are not related to the host OS. WVPC works the same
(identically) for W7HP or W7Ult.

XP Mode is just a pre-made VM that is licensed to Ult, Ent, Pro, it
has nothing to do with how Windows Virtual PC works or doesn't work.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP