From: C A Upsdell on
Microsoft offers VPC images to allow people to use multiple versions of
IE to test websites, available at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

At least one of the images creates a virtual machine with a user account
which has a password ... but I have no idea what Microsoft has set the
password to. The password should not be secret for any of these VPC
images. Any idea?

The specific CPC image in question right now is the latest version of
IE7-XP-SP3.exe, however, it should be possible for testers to know all
the passwords that Microsoft has set: otherwise the virtual machines
become unusable whenever they choose to ask for passwords.

From: VanguardLH on
C A Upsdell wrote:

> Microsoft offers VPC images to allow people to use multiple versions of
> IE to test websites, available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en
>
> At least one of the images creates a virtual machine with a user account
> which has a password ... but I have no idea what Microsoft has set the
> password to. The password should not be secret for any of these VPC
> images. Any idea?
>
> The specific CPC image in question right now is the latest version of
> IE7-XP-SP3.exe, however, it should be possible for testers to know all
> the passwords that Microsoft has set: otherwise the virtual machines
> become unusable whenever they choose to ask for passwords.

You sure the password wasn't blank? I've used a couple of those VHDs (so I
could trial other software, like Office 2007) and didn't have to go
searching for a password.
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:01:32 -0500, C A Upsdell
<cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Microsoft offers VPC images to allow people to use multiple versions of
>IE to test websites, available at
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en
>
>At least one of the images creates a virtual machine with a user account
>which has a password ... but I have no idea what Microsoft has set the
>password to. The password should not be secret for any of these VPC
>images. Any idea?
>
>The specific CPC image in question right now is the latest version of
>IE7-XP-SP3.exe, however, it should be possible for testers to know all
>the passwords that Microsoft has set: otherwise the virtual machines
>become unusable whenever they choose to ask for passwords.

did you happen to look at the readme file?

-----------------------------------
Internet Explorer Virtual PC ReadMe
-----------------------------------

This image will expire on April 2, 2010. At that time the Operating
System will no longer boot, and you will be locked out of the VHD.
Please ensure you back up any relevant data before April 2, 2010.

The Administrator and IETest passwords are P2ssw0rd .

The image was up to date as of December 18, 2009.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

Pages: 1
Prev: wp DOS
Next: Horrid Disk Read Times in WVPC 2007