From: Karl E. Peterson on
We have a WVPC XP VM setup in Windows 7 x64 which is displaying just
horrible read times when accessing one of the local drives of the host.
And I mean *horrible* times!

For example, I can copy a 12MB file from the guest to the host in the
blink of an eye, but copying the same file from the host to the guest
takes several minutes. Even doing a simple DIR at the command prompt
(in a folder with a couple dozen files) shows the sort of noticable
delay you might get doing it in a folder with several thousand files.

This bottleneck is limited to *just* the local drives. There is no
noticable perf problems reading remote/network drives. Mapping the
local drive to a named drive letter does not help. The VM is in
bridged network mode.

Ideas?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-02-19 13:22, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> We have a WVPC XP VM setup in Windows 7 x64 which is displaying just
> horrible read times when accessing one of the local drives of the host.
> And I mean *horrible* times!
>
> For example, I can copy a 12MB file from the guest to the host in the
> blink of an eye, but copying the same file from the host to the guest
> takes several minutes. Even doing a simple DIR at the command prompt (in
> a folder with a couple dozen files) shows the sort of noticable delay
> you might get doing it in a folder with several thousand files.
>
> This bottleneck is limited to *just* the local drives. There is no
> noticable perf problems reading remote/network drives. Mapping the local
> drive to a named drive letter does not help. The VM is in bridged
> network mode.

I have the same problem on my XP machine. Testing sites on my local
hard drive is very painful, because it is so terribly slow.

From: Robert Comer on
The interface between the host and guest is just slow and I suspect
it's a bug.

--
Bob Comer

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
> The interface between the host and guest is just slow and I suspect
> it's a bug.

I can't say I've seen this on any other VMs, though? I just tried
another, on a different host, and I could sling a 22MB file in moments
from host to guest.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Robert Comer on
>I can't say I've seen this on any other VMs, though? I just tried
>another, on a different host, and I could sling a 22MB file in moments
>from host to guest.

With WVPC? Was VBOX perchance installed also on that box?

It's slow on all my machines, but I don't think every machine behaves
this way. I don't know the cause.

--
Bob Comer