From: C A Upsdell on
Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products support
HAV.

Anyone know of such a list?

TIA

From: SaGS on
"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
> likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
> Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products
> support HAV.
>
> Anyone know of such a list?

Don't know of a list of PC *models*, but you can check the
capabilities of Intel CPUs at http://processorfinder.intel.com/. Once
you select a processor family, you can filter on various capabilities.
Note that I'm not sure if WVPC requires 'Execute disable bit' also (I
think Hyper-V does); so best is to get a processor with both (it's
usefull anyway).

I do not know where to find a similar page for AMD processors.

Beware that, as I found on the Internet, there are computers (from
Sony, IIRC) that ship with a VT-capable CPU but who's BIOS does not
allow enabling that feature. So, the best is to boot the computer and
look into the BIOS if it has an option to enable/ disable VT.

From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:45:57 -0500, C A Upsdell
<cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
>likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
>Virtual PC,

Not if by Virtual PC you mean VPC2007. Only Windows Virtual PC (the
Win7 flavour) requires VT to install.

> and I can't find a definitive list of which products support
>HAV.
>
>Anyone know of such a list?

I don't think that such a list exists. You will have to check what CPU
is used on each candidate and compare to the CPU maker's data sheet
for it. And you have also to check the PC MB maker's BIOS settings....
Some makers hide the VT enabling so it is not even possible to switch
on in BIOS (for excample some Sony Vaios do this).

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: senn on

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelelsen
> Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop, likely
> from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use Virtual PC,
> and I can't find a definitive list of which products support HAV.
>
> Anyone know of such a list?
>
> TIA

You can download and use the "pidenu23.msi" found on
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=1881&DwnldID=7838&lang=eng

Running this program identify an intel prosessor.
And tell you whether this specific intel processor can handle VT.
And a list can be found here:
http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx
If you press a processor-type in the left column, a list wil be displayed.

/senn

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:45:57 -0500, C A Upsdell
<cupsdell(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Does such a list exist? Right now I'm in the market for a laptop,
>likely from HP, but I will have Windows 7 which requires HAV to use
>Virtual PC, and I can't find a definitive list of which products support
>HAV.
>
>Anyone know of such a list?
>
>TIA

There is no list.
You should look at the specs of the system you're going to buy. If
hardware VT isn't explicitly mentioned, don't buy it.
This is how I purchase my stuff and everything I've got has VT.

Just because the CPU supports VT doesn't mean the BIOS does or the
BIOS implementation works. Look for forums for the product and ask
current owners for clarification.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP